• Side-Jobs Forum Rules:
    • No requests related to 4x4, offroad, or any services already provided by vendors who support RME and make this site possible. If you are seeking these types of services, please post in a General 4x4 or another approriate forum.
    • No requests related to morally questionable or illegal activities
    • Any requests here may be removed at any time at the discretion of the moderators

Anyone do vinyl fencing?

DsmXJRider

Mr Talon
Looking to get a half fence from an existimg fence to side walk. Would rather pay a member then my other options of people.
Wanting to get this done as soon as my tax returns get back.

Caleb

I'm needing to get some bids too. I'm ready to do a fence today if someone on here can give me a bid.

D

Deleted member 12904

I would avoid best vinyl. We had $9800 in fence installed from them because they have " the best material, best installation and warranty in the business" less than two years later I have the worst looking fence in the neighborhood.

PolarXJ

HO-P
I would avoid best vinyl. We had $9800 in fence installed from them because they have " the best material, best installation and warranty in the business" less than two years later I have the worst looking fence in the neighborhood.

What makes your feel like its inferior to the other vinyl fences. I'm just curious, because I was planning on using them until I read this. Is it the quality of vinyl, sheen, texture?

D

Deleted member 12904

What makes your feel like its inferior to the other vinyl fences. I'm just curious, because I was planning on using them until I read this. Is it the quality of vinyl, sheen, texture?

It is more the installation. Few examples.

I was told that their product is exclusive to them and of higher quality. We went with the larger 7" top and bottom rails. Our neighbors had theirs done and tied into ours this summer by another company it was done for about $3 a foot less but I can tell you after giving it the Pepsi challenge I can literally tell zero difference in look, color and or quality.

I was told that they used a reinforcement metal in the panels to prevent them buckling in the wind. Turns out after fixing a panel that popped out from a wind storm Sunday morning they did not do this. This was also the selling point of the more expensive 7" top and bottom rails.

I was showed a black coated "U" bracket that they used in the tops of the posts, I was explained to me by the sales man the most companies just run a screw inside the post on the top rail to prevent it from sliding and this will oval out over time causing movement in the top rail. Well again Sunday when I went to fix the section that popped out they did not use those brackets and in fact just used a regular wood screw in the exact fashion that was explained to me why I should not use other companies.

And by far and away my biggest issue is my posts sinking. I have a large lot and when we built the house the lot had not been touched for grading or anything so the ground was settled for years. We had the fence done before we even moved in because of our dogs and all I had done was a skidsteer scrap the perimeter of the lot clean of weeds and rocks. They came in with a skidsteer with a huge auger attachment and Im guessing over drilled a lot of the holes with out a proper back fill because my fence now looks like a equalizer graph on a stereo. My fence is the only one in my entire neighborhood that had so many post move and move a lot at that. We pulled the warranty papers out yesterday because I was pissed to find they cut so many corners and in the fine print it reads they do not warranty settling posts.

I was also told they used 80# of concrete on every post I plan to dig the really bad ones up this spring and I bet they lied on that one also but we will see.

D

Deleted member 12904

I forwarded a link to this thread to best vinyl. I received a reply saying they are reviewing my complaints and will have a services rep contact me. I hope they make my fence look normal again.

Caleb

I forwarded a link to this thread to best vinyl. I received a reply saying they are reviewing my complaints and will have a services rep contact me. I hope they make my fence look normal again.

Let me know what the outcome is. FWIW, I've gotten bids from them in the past and they were always ridiculously high. They have their snake oil, but after looking at what's out there, I don't buy that their product is superior, and definitely not worth paying anything more for.

D

Deleted member 12904

Let me know what the outcome is. FWIW, I've gotten bids from them in the past and they were always ridiculously high. They have their snake oil, but after looking at what's out there, I don't buy that their product is superior, and definitely not worth paying anything more for.

Very much agree. In my mind it was buying a $8500 fence from a dude working out of a trailer or $9k plus on a fence that will last the life of the house. So far it seems the dude working out of a trailer is slower but is doing a better quality job. Time will tell if best vinyl really stands behind their work.

DsmXJRider

Mr Talon
Best vinyl was one of the places i called. 1300 for the half fence. Then we gave our estimate to another place, his parts were cheaper but labor made up the difference to be about same price.

blznnp

we had ours done by best vinyl about 3 years ago, havn't had any problems with it yet. One of the things that the lead of the crew that came out told me was that best vinyl has bought out lots of vinyl companies to grow their business, so maybe they use some of the same employees for the installing and send out their reps for the selling. I understand that even if they did that they should train all the new guys one their product that they "use" so that way it is being installed like the salesman says and not like what deviant has experienced. one thing that did bug me about the guy is that you would think that every crew would have a wheel barrow to mix the concrete in on their trucks, especially when they show up in a nice newer dodge one ton and a nice 5th wheel flatbed trailer, but this guy asked us if we had one he could use. I didn't have one at the time so he had to use 5 gallon buckets to do it. I never wanted to ask a home owner for a tool or something to use to make my job easier, and I usually made my helpers have to do the work in a harder way if they forgot something rather than ask the home owner for help.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
DSM-

How many feet of fence is it? Is it just 3' tall? I worked for "A Vinyl Fence Connection" for nearly 3 years. The owner sold the company last year so I don't have connections there anymore but if you get the product I can help install it. Its really not hard to do at all. If the ground is really rocky than it makes things harder but I thought Lehi had pretty decent dirt.

DsmXJRider

Mr Talon
its 49' I dont know if its 3 or 4 ft high. My back yard is rocky, but im not sure how the front yard is since i have not had to dig anything up yet.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Thats not much at all. Its only like 8 posts assuming the sections are 6' centers so even if it is a bit rocky its still not horrible, I guess that is unless you have VW's lurking under the grass in your yard. PM me if you want me to help you get it installed. I'm guessing "Mr Talon" is your JF handle? I'm "sanctified" over there, I'm trying to be less pretentious.

wheelewagon

Vinyl fence is so easy to install. I did all of mine myself, for A couple of reasons. 1) it's alot cheaper 2) I know it's done right. I'm way picky about my things and doing it myself I know it's done how I want it. I bought my fence through midwest vinyl and got F-d hard. Well when I bought it I went to A bunch of companies and got bids, including best vinyl which A marine buddy of mine worked for so I got A huge discount through them. Even after the discounts I got from them, they were still way more expensive. I still almost went through them but after doing more research realized it's more hype then is worth the money. Midwest was doing A 20% off sale,then they also gave me another 20% off for being in the Marines or something like that. I can't remember now. Any ways, I needed my posts asap cuz I was doing a full retaining wall and mow strip with the fence in it, and it was going to be pored that weekend. So they hurried and got me my posts. Then I never got my fencing. I kept calling them to get the same reply, Were just super swamped and haven't been able to get your order done yet. About 6 months later I got A letter from A legal company stating they had actually went bankrupt and that's why they were doing all the great deals and taking so long. They had another company take up all the orders and give it at cost. But we had already done the half up front and lost a lot of money on it. Supposedly there was A big law suit going on and we were supposed to get a piece of it but never heard anything from it. The new company we had though was great I can't remember who it was though. I'll try to find out for you. One suggestion I have on it besides doing it yourself is using the U channel that goes down the slats screwed into the sides of the posts. It does 2 things. 1) it strengthens up the fence a lot( which just doing the short fence shouldn't really matter). and 2) It gives A nicer finished look and hides any cuts in slats you might have to do for fitting.

When I was doing all the research for my fence I found out there is only 1 or 2 companies that actually make all the vinyl fencing for all of the companies any way, with the exception of best vinyl I believe. So just find who will give you the best deal. Unless it's to good to be true deal like I got lol.

Brad J

Vinyl fence is so easy to install. I did all of mine myself, for A couple of reasons. 1) it's alot cheaper 2) I know it's done right. I'm way picky about my things and doing it myself I know it's done how I want it....

I agree. I paid our Vinyl Fence Company to put in the 4 posts for the Gates & the Gates but they didn't even use a level. I did the rest of our yard with out having done one before. It took about a week to finish the yard but this is a job that I wanted done right. Too many people are in a hurry and cutting corners.

Heck, It took 6 months for our Carpet Installers to come back & finish a mistake so I'm kind of grumpy right now.