Anyone have stuff laser cut?

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
I need to make some brackets out of 1/4" steel and I was wondering if any shops will laser cut the stuff for cheap if I supply the templates.

All I have is a freakin' skill saw with a huge cut off wheel and it won't give me the accurate cuts that I need.

Any idea on what shop and how much $'s???

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
you need to go to factory tubular in SLC, they have the largest selection of pre-cut stuff I have ever seen. I bet they would have something similar to what you need. as far as laser cutting, you need CAD drawings and big $$ to get small amounts of work done!! forget it!!

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
How precise is a plasma cutter? (never used one before :( )

I know factory tubular won't have what I need.

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
BTW - I can get the drawings generated in CAD if needed by my buddy.

....how expensive are we talking? How do the charge? by the cut? by the hour?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Mike_Lib
BTW - I can get the drawings generated in CAD if needed by my buddy.

....how expensive are we talking? How do the charge? by the cut? by the hour?

call one and find out....they are in the book :)

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
a plasma cutter is extremely precise. I can cut all kinds of flames and graphics out just like if I were using a pencil. works really well.

xjc

I give up :(
Richards sheet metal. they have a couple of lazer tables. Pretty cool stuff but 1/4 inch is pretty thick, I am not sure if a lazer will do it or not. If its too thick for a lazer you would go to watter jet (cuts up to like 6" plate). either way its gona be pricy.

Talk to the man with a plasma cutter. Those things are amazing!!! they make a beutifull cut and if you have a steady hand or use some kind of jig to guide the cutter, you will get great results.

BTW, I assume you are needing some inside corners. If not, a heavy shear will do the job for you. Allot of places can do that for you.

Richards is a good organization but you get raped for custom work like that.

grinch

inner city redneck
Plasma cutters kick butt. You can do just about any cut on them and if your worried about it not being a clean enough cut use a dremmel to get in the tight spots. I know jason at jeepers off road has one and would probbly do the cuts for cheep. his number is 694-9052

84 4Runner

Restless 'Runner
Originally posted by Mike_Lib
How precise is a plasma cutter? (never used one before :( )

I know factory tubular won't have what I need.

I know the guys at Factory, and I think they'll custom make you whatever you need. A little bird told me they'll be getting a plasma cutter soon! Tell 'em Shannon sent ya.