Anyone have trailer drawings?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Like it says, anyone have any trailer drawings? I think I'm going to build a new everything above the axles for my trailer. In the process, making it longer and a little wider to haul my Jeep and possibly car or anything else.

My axles aren't very wide, so I'll either need to raise the bed (so I can drive over them) and dovetail it, or widen them. Or make it so the fenders are removable and just drive over the tires? I'm open at this point... However, I woujld like the clearance of having a higher bed when towing off highway.

Actually, that brings me to another question - how do you tell what your axles are rated at? These have electric? brakes and are 5 lug. So if I had to guess, I'd say 3500 lbs each. But how do you really know? Is it stamped somewhere near the spindle or etc?

Corban_White

For trailer plans check out Northern Tool. You have to pay tho. :( The brand and model of the axles should be stamped somewhere or a small plate welded on to the axle. We found the brand of some axles and called the co. and the guy gave us some things to measure and told us what it was rated depending on those.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
For trailer plans check out Northern Tool. You have to pay tho. :( The brand and model of the axles should be stamped somewhere or a small plate welded on to the axle. We found the brand of some axles and called the co. and the guy gave us some things to measure and told us what it was rated depending on those.

I've seen those. They look like nice drawings. However, the one is only 70"? wide. Yeah, you could probably modify the drawings to be wider, but then you are practically starting over anyway. I would also like to build one with a wood deck, instead of steel to cut down on weight.

Mug

PHORmerly
When I was thinking of building a jeep hauler, I just went to some of the local trailer outlets (Bib Bubba's, Lone Peak) and brought my tape measure to see what size channel they used and what spacing they had between the support beams on the trailers I liked. If you don't want to pay for plans and you can find a trailer that is about the right size you want, you could find out part dimensions pretty quickly.

This page on champion's site had some starting guidlines.
http://www.championtrailers.com/UTILITY_TRAILER_KITS.HTM

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
When I was thinking of building a jeep hauler, I just went to some of the local trailer outlets (Bib Bubba's, Lone Peak) and brought my tape measure to see what size channel they used and what spacing they had between the support beams on the trailers I liked. If you don't want to pay for plans and you can find a trailer that is about the right size you want, you could find out part dimensions pretty quickly.

This page on champion's site had some starting guidlines.
http://www.championtrailers.com/UTILITY_TRAILER_KITS.HTM

That's how I found them. Google'd and that page came up. That was like 2 maybe 3 years ago. I'm really leaning in that direction... Cuz' like you say, a buddie has a trailer that I know he'd let me borrow to copy. Don't remember the name, but it's a really nice trailer - tow's and loads easy.

BillaVista's Trailer bible:
http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Towing/index.html

There's a few links to building a car hauler in there.

Dang...BillaVista has a bible on everything! lol Never even thought to look there... Time to check it out!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
So once you have your trailer built, what needs to be done to put a license plate on it?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
So once you have your trailer built, what needs to be done to put a license plate on it?

I believe you simply take it down to the HP office and have it inspected, just like any other manufactured rig that'l be on the road. I believe at that time, when it passes, they will certify and brand it.

Here's to the entire process being easy! :D