anyone here a teacher or spouse a teacher?

I'm trying to convince my Girlfriend to move here at some point from the communist state of California. The problem is that she teaches independent studies and wants to continue teaching in that area.

We have searched online and have had a hard time finding any teaching positions that are open. We are also looking into how she can get her Utah teaching credential since her CA credential wont be accepted.

Any website or information that you could offer would help a ton.

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
Weber county and ogden school districts are hiring. Specifically Weber high. My brother in law just got a job here and so did his wife. They had several offers.

MOODY

Bald Guy
Ahh, I see. There are countless alternative schools for her in the public realm, as well as charter schools here that would be in need of someone like that. There is a decent amount of turnover in many English Departments here in Utah.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Now if only there was more turnover in the social studies/History departments..

Sounds like she does a lot of para education/ spec ed type work, the link Moody posted is good, also just check out the individual districts, there are always positions available in that realm... not so in History/ Social studies

UFAB

Besides private schools. Utah does a terrible job at compensating their teachers.

Good luck.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
She teaches all subjects in independent studies and is more 1 on 1 style with the student. She has her credential in English though. Her current school is a charter school for kids who don't quite cut it in public schools due to behaviors.

Does she have a special education endorsement?

ozzy702

Besides private schools. Utah does a terrible job at compensating their teachers.

Good luck.

Agreed, but it's not just their teachers, it's also plenty of the staff. One area where apparently Utah districts do pay well is Administration... which from what I've seen is overpaid.

Utah's problem is supply and demand. Even though there is a decent demand for teachers, the supply of people wanting to teach in this state is much greater so districts can get away with paying very little.

People don't want higher property taxes thus less money for the school districts, I can't fault them too much considering the gross wastes of public funds we see in public education across the nation. One area in which Utah is very solid is their pension funding which is MUCH better than most states whose public pensions are at risk.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Not to start a fight but more than 10% of the teachers in my school district make over $100K a year. Divide that by 180 days =$550 a day /9 hours which is a stretch = $61 per hour. I know I live in a "rich" district but that isn't a bad wage. I understand the teachers in this bracket also have a lot of education and are not first year teachers. I always compare it to my company. The top 15% at my company make more than $100K a year. We are one of the highest paying companies in the area. Those top wage earners work at least 50 hours a week year round. They also carry a pager home and must be available 24/7. They have also been in the industry for a long time. So from what I can see, teachers are paid in step with most high education private industry in UT. Not to say they are wealthy, just fairly competitively compensated.