Anyone here do brazing? How about on a gas tank?

Ogre Palowakski

I have a 2004 BMW R1150R with 50,000 miles.

It's time to change the fuel filter, which is inside the gas tank. When replacing the fuel pump assembly, which is attached by a plate and 6 bolts to the tank, I snapped off one of the bolts.

The bolts pass through the gas tank from inside out and are welded in. After researching this quite a bit, I learned that other guys have solved this by grinding off whatever is left of the old bolt, cutting the head off of a new bolt and brazing the new bolt onto the tank.

I have already removed the tank, flushed it out with engine degreaser, completely filled it with water and rinsed it out several times. I vacuumed out the water and let it sit for 24 hours while open for the remaining water to evaporate. I have ground off what remained of the bolt and have two new headless bolts, ready for brazing. One is stainless steel and the other is steel. I'm not sure which would be best. The tank is steel.

Is anyone here experienced in brazing and willing to do this for me?

I realize there's some risk involved in doing this on a gas tank but I believe all fumes are gone after cleaning and rinsing so many times. I was also grinding the bolt at the opening tonight with no issues.

Please let me know. I'll be trying some radiator shops tomorrow to see if they'll do this as well.

Thanks!

Bike-1150.jpg

IMG_6609-L.jpg

Attachments

• Bike-1150.jpg
    Bike-1150.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: