Anyone into 3D printing?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I'm just amazed at the number of parts for the wing and size of them. Must have had dozens of printers going to print that thing out I'm counting close to 35 pieces, they are large enough they are easily more than a day each.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Is there any way to print something clear? Doesn’t have to be glass clear but enough to allow back lighting to shine through? I want to redo the shifter gate on the LJ with the shift pattern for the 6L80E. So it looks factory Jeep but with drive, manual, and first.

STAG

On my grind
Is there any way to print something clear? Doesn’t have to be glass clear but enough to allow back lighting to shine through? I want to redo the shifter gate on the LJ with the shift pattern for the 6L80E. So it looks factory Jeep but with drive, manual, and first.
Yeah they make clear resin and clear filament. I’m assuming the resin is a lot more clear than the filament.

The clear filament I’ve printed with in the past is good for light transmission but that’s about it, you can’t see detail through it.
A0BCDB41-0E58-47A4-929D-776DB6D2E37F.jpeg

STAG

On my grind
Obligatory Benchy

I think if I would have printed it the other way, with the bow towards the build plate, then the lettering on the stern would turn out better, you can see some bumps from where the support rods were attached.

Maybe slightly smaller layers would help too. Either way, a lot more detail than what a FDM printer can do.

611B9096-9145-4D9B-83A3-A764268ACA3B.jpeg

586F1903-973B-4721-98C2-A309A2488896.jpeg
60818DD3-ED71-451E-8930-2C07DE5345CA.jpeg
141CF486-3A9D-4958-ADD3-19877135FE20.jpeg

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
glow in the dark filament would be fun for that use...

STAG

On my grind
What model printer is that?
Elegoo Saturn 2. I got it on FB marketplace but it was new/unused when I got it. Looks like they’re on Amazon with its successor, the Saturn 3.

From what I can tell, Elegoo’s models are named in junction with planet sizes, so they make a Mars which is smaller than the Saturn, and their biggest printer is a Jupiter.

I bought this as a trial to see if I’d like it, but so far I’m impressed and already want a Jupiter