Anyone into Moto Trials?

sixstringsteve

Mototrials have always looked like fun to me. Maybe it's cuz I'm a chicken or maybe it's cuz I suck at riding, but going over 40 MPH doesn't really appeal to me. Kinda the same way I prefer rockcrawling to desert racing.

I kinda view motorcycle trials as the motorcycle version of rock crawling. Anyone here into it? I'd like to get a trials bike and start riding some technical trails (like all our rockcrawling trails, 5moh, etc), but I know that unless i have a friend to go with, I won't ever get out. Anyone into it, or thinking about getting a trials bike for fun?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I would like to try it, but I don't think I have the skills to even come close to making a trials bike work like it should. Even then, I think it would be a blast to try out, I would even love to pick up a bike, but I already have too much on my plate.

I do love hauling ass in the desert and jumping off water breaks, bumps, rocks, etc... I see this kind of riding giving me the speed & rush that I miss out on with the 4x4.

sixstringsteve

I could totally see that. Ive got my mind made up that I'm going to get one and learn to ride the technical trails more.

rholbrook

A friend of mine does Trials competitions. He was a hell of an MXer before he switched. He keeps trying to get me to try it. I'm not coordinated enough to do that stuff.

sixstringsteve

I'm more interested in running trails like 5moh, the rubicon, stuff like that. competing might be fun, but I just wanna tackle the gnarly trails. Once I get my trials bike you guys are all welcome to take it for a spin and see what you think. The one thing that's weird about riding them is how far back the pegs are, so you're basically standing over the rear axle. Also, the tires are nearly flat (8-13 psi) and it feels really weird to have a flat front tire.

This style of riding looks like more fun than jumping from boulder to boulder.

[youtube]t0zhYJ5x8Wg[/youtube]

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
Sweet video. Do you ever sit down on a trials bike at all? Can you or is there no seat? How long does a tank usually last? How much does a trials bike weigh? I will let you prove me wrong but I don't see this being your style of riding, but people can change I guess. How come you don't like the gas gas one's on ksl? Are they not a good brand?

Do you only like trials bikes because the seat height will fit you?:rofl:

sixstringsteve

no, you don't sit down on a trials bike. They don't have seats (neither do trials pedal bikes). The tank usually lasts 3 horus. Trials bikes weigh 150-160 lbs. The gas gas ones on KSL are pretty beat, and the ones I'm looking at are much cleaner and ridden by old men on the dirt trails around their house. Gas gas is a decent brand, they make good stuff. Just not my thing.

Here's a gasgas that I wouldn't mind having. I wouldn't mind being able to ride like him either.

[youtube]BCGC_qh6dC8[/youtube]

Some models have an aftermarket seat and tank you can add to them:
rev3 lr.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

that's a Beta Rev 3 with the long-range kit. It adds 3 litres. Even though it has a seat, it's a totally different riding position than a traditional bike. The pegs are so far rearward that your toes end up pointing down while seated, and it's not super comfortable. Better than no seat though!

Trying to find a used Beta Rev 3 or Evo in good shape is not an easy feat. I'd love a rev 3, but I can't find any...

sixstringsteve

scorpa has a few options as well.

2007-scorpa-sy-250-long-rw.jpg

t-ride (super hard to find, but very cool bike)
tride125.jpg

Attachments

• ScorpaSY_LongRide04.jpg
    ScorpaSY_LongRide04.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 6
  • t-ride.jpg
    t-ride.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 6

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Steve.... you're making me want a trials bike... -_-

That T-Ride looks like the perfect balance of trials & trails... I dig it.

sixstringsteve

I ended up getting a used Gas Gas tonight. Looking forward to taking it on any nasty trail I can find, and hoping to hone my skills. It's crazy how light and maneuverable this thing is. I love how the skidplate is part of the frame and it connects the downtube to the seattube.

IMAG0203.jpg

16949479.jpg

For those looking, here are two SCREAMIN deals. The bikes are a little bit older, but in fantastic shape (especially that Beta). The Montessa is the ferrari of the trials world, and that 2002 is still very competitive today. The Beta is about 15 lbs heavier than more modern trials bikes, but unless you're competing you won't know the difference. It's still light at 175 lbs.

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/2935039784.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcy/2934873861.html

sixstringsteve

Here's a video of a pro riding that bike in Boise (different bike, same exact model)

[youtube]JWFldYrVwrs[/youtube]

SportSawyer

Not to much less than I run in my WR, I only run 13-15 pounds

Trials bikes typically run 4 to 4.5 psi in the rear (tubeless radial) and 5 to 6.5 psi in the front (tubed bias ply). That can vary with conditions, tire brand, etc. and rear pressure is sometimes run as low as 2.5 psi, but almost never over 5 psi. Running 5 psi in the rear would be for trail riding, not trials competition.

A high quality pressure gauge is just about mandatory.

sixstringsteve

Trials bikes typically run 4 to 4.5 psi in the rear (tubeless radial) and 5 to 6.5 psi in the front (tubed bias ply). That can vary with conditions, tire brand, etc. and rear pressure is sometimes run as low as 2.5 psi, but almost never over 5 psi. Running 5 psi in the rear would be for trail riding, not trials competition.

A high quality pressure gauge is just about mandatory.

good to know.