anyone into natural beef?

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Over the weekend I picked up a 1/4 Jersey steer for the freezer, 77lb of all natural beef. I bought it through a private seller who picks up 3 of them every few months as calves and raises them for slaughter on his property in Wanship. Had one of the sirloins tonight and it was simply amazing. Has a darker, richer texture and it tastes so much better than the crap you buy at the store. I would even dare to say it has a very slight "gamey" flavor to it due to no hormones or other crap in its diet. He charged based on the finished weight, not the hanging weight like many others do, so it was well worth it.

Anyone else done it or looking into it? Our family did this in years past when they didn't tag a dear for the season, but this is my first time doing it myself and am so happy I went for it. I read up on the Jersey steer and it is the healthiest beef you can buy, higher in mono-saturated fat(think good fats) and is higher in beta carotene than other breeds, partly due to a longer growth period.

Bart

Yes, we are in the process of finding local natural beef. Trying to bring my son back from the vegetarian side and he won't eat processed meats. He's actually more of a carbatarian and its not real healthy.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
My Dad raises steers and sells them off either at auction or anyone that is interested in a steer (got to buy the whole thing or split it with someone you line up). He's up in Cache Valley.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Yes, we are in the process of finding local natural beef. Trying to bring my son back from the vegetarian side and he won't eat processed meats. He's actually more of a carbatarian and its not real healthy.

How soon are you planning to do it and how much meat are you wanting to pick up? I did a lot of research from March until now and learned a lot about beef quality, marbling and other coloring, and growth patterns. It seems that most only butcher in the spring and fall. I could call Dann up and see if he has anymore left from this last batch and let you know. The butcher he uses does amazing work, the meat I took out yesterday was packed with plastic between cuts for easy separation, and then wrapped in plastic and again wrapped in paper.

I just pulled up a KSL ad selling Jersey beef but they don't seem pastured and are only grained, the best meat comes from pastured animals with corn and barley mixed with minimal grain.

LT.

We just got a whole cow this last spring. I have and aunt and uncle who are farmers in Kansas. The best beef you can get and a heck of a lot better tasting than the stuff at the super market.

LT.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Is any beef really natural? I mean to say that do any of the cows walking around today have anything to do with natural selection? Aren't the breeds mentioned a product of human interference? I'm not expert because I don't eat beef, just askin'.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Is any beef really natural? I mean to say that do any of the cows walking around today have anything to do with natural selection? Aren't the breeds mentioned a product of human interference? I'm not expert because I don't eat beef, just askin'.

You could ask the same of all the veggies you eat as well.;)

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ

Natural, as in raised without hormones or other added growth crap, only fed naturally sourced food like corn, grass, barley, etc. Why don't you eat beef, are you a health risk or something?

mr_blove

ask me if I care
I don't know if it natural or not but I do know it is FRESH and local beef, Dale T Smith and sons on the SW of I-15 and 12300 S, is the best beef I have had around these parts. My neighbor is from Nebraska and he gets a half beef almost every year from his grandparents back home and he says it is just as good as Nebraska beef. You should try it, it is cheap too.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Are they Jersey's?

I'd put Holstein beef up against Jersey any day of the week. Best meat I've ever had was Holstein, and its super lean. My dad owns a dairy in Brigham City. I've never had to buy a pound of beef in my life. That might be the only thing my wife loves about my family: )

Sent from my BAD ASS phone via Tapatalk

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
I don't know if it natural or not but I do know it is FRESH and local beef, Dale T Smith and sons on the SW of I-15 and 12300 S, is the best beef I have had around these parts. My neighbor is from Nebraska and he gets a half beef almost every year from his grandparents back home and he says it is just as good as Nebraska beef. You should try it, it is cheap too.

Not to spoil your dinner but Dale Smith's is where most local farmers take their cattle when their all but dead. As long as it will walk they will take it. I know that's not all they get but that's a lot of it.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Not to spoil your dinner but Dale Smith's is where most local farmers take their cattle when their all but dead. As long as it will walk they will take it. I know that's not all they get but that's a lot of it.

Snap.