Anyone know of a HAM cram class?

BoostedRNR

I would love to attend a meet-up too, but I live clear up in Logan. Maybe I'll have to get off work a couple hours early and head down. I just bought a couple Baofeng's and I've been trying to do some studying before turning them on. Ive downloaded some study guides and practice test stuff and it's all like a foreign language to me. I have no idea how I'm going to retain any of this info without some hands on experience.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Hey, it looks like I will be free again this evening. If anyone would like to get together and discuss/use some ham radios, speak up.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Dempsey what software do you use to program your mobile radios? I just bought a Yaesu FTM-400XDR and have been poking around the ADMS-7 software that comes with it but it won't accept the CSV file I have from Maverick. I'm wondering if its just me that is having the problem or if most people shell out the money for the RT Systems software.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I use CHIRP for both of my HTs as well as my FT-7900Rs. Free and easy.

EDIT: CHIRP uses *.img files, so I don't know that it would read his file, either.

Last edited:

McFate

I use Chirp with my FT-8800, and it's been working great. Chirp will save your programming as a .img file, but you can still import .csv files, as well as export them to use on a different device. Don't know if Chirp would work for nnnnnate though, as the FTM-400XDR isn't on Chirp's list of supported radios.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I did use Chirp to program a Baofeng but didn't try it for this new radio. I may give it a try tonight if I get some time. It looks like some people have had a least a little bit of luck with the FTM-400 but doesn't look like its supported out of the box. If I remember right its based on the FTM-350 to a certain extent.

The other question I had was about the repeaters and lists that you guys are programming into your units. Like I had said I got something from Maverick (Brett) a couple years ago but hadn't really looked at it until now. I don't remember what his reasoning was behind the order that the list is in but could use some tips or thoughts on how you guys do your programming. If you've got a more up to date list than March 2014 I'd love a copy as well.

Last edited:

McFate

View attachment ft8800.csv.zip

Sure thing - here's a .csv dump of the current programming I use in my FT-8800. In the file, "Location" refers to the memory location for a station. You may notice that the locations aren't continuous, and there are gaps. My radio allows for empty memory locations, so I like to group together the memories where they make sense to me. I start each group on a multiple of 10, so that it's easier to remember.

In the file attached, memories 1-18 are based on a suggested list from the Herriman Amateur Radio Club. I'm not a regular there, but it seemed like a good starting point when I first setup my radio, and so far the list has stuck. #1, labeled "OFFRD" is simply 146.46 simplex - which I use primarily when I'm off road. Other stations I have are 2M C & 70CM C, the 2M & 70CM calling freqs.

The next group begins at #20-37. These are all the repeaters that are part of the Intermountain Intertie system. The names of the memories are based on their real-world locations. My radio only supports 6-character names, so I had to get creative.

40-47 are repeaters in the Sinbad & Skyline repeater system.

50-59 is used for NOAA weather stations, sorted simply by the frequency used in the areas I tend to be.

60-340 is where things get less useful. This batch is simply a dump of nearly all 2M & 70CM repeaters in Utah, based on info found at repeaterbook.com. Included mostly because it seemed like it could be useful, and I had the storage space on the radio. Plus, it was pretty easy using Chirp: Radio > Import from data source > RadioRepeater.com

350-371 are the FRS & GMRS frequencies. My radio can receive these, but not transmit on them. More for entertainment value than anything else.

Finally, #500 is the receive frequency for the International Space Station. Still trying to figure out how to make contact with that thing, so I don't even know if that's correct info there.

Hopefully that makes sense. My programming setup evolves the more I use the radio, but I'm also interested in seeing how other folks have their radios setup as well.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
The other question I had was about the repeaters and lists that you guys are programming into your units. Like I had said I got something from Maverick (Brett) a couple years ago but hadn't really looked at it until now. I don't remember what his reasoning was behind the order that the list is in but could use some tips or thoughts on how you guys do your programming.

Organization will vary greatly according to the logic of the programmer. ;)

IIRC, Brett said he made his list by programing in every Utah repeater. I have not done that. Instead, my list has evolved over time based on repeaters I have used or think I might use. My mobiles currently have only about 70 repeaters programmed into them. The first few memories are channels I use often; next, I have added a few that I might use while Jeeping out at Five Mile Pass; after that, there is a string of ones I encounter on the drive to Moab. From there, it's a bit more random. I did make a point of adding the entire Intertie and Sinbad linked systems, as a just-in-case sort of thing. My lack of every repeater isn't a big deal to me; if somebody tells me they want to use a repeater I don't already have programmed, Yaesu makes it very easy to add it on the fly.

If you've got a more up to date list than March 2014 I'd love a copy as well.

The most up-to-date list is supposed to be found here:

http://utahvhfs.org/rptr.html

McFate

I tried opening this file but there is essentially no data in it. :confused:

I'd upload one of my own files, but the forum doesn't want me to attach my (uncompressed) .img file.

Hmmm… download worked fine here. But I'm also using the mac that created the file. If you're using a Windows machine, did you first extract the file from the .zip before trying to view it?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
If you're using a Windows machine, did you first extract the file from the .zip before trying to view it?

I thought I had, but apparently not. I tried again and this time got it to open.

Now: how do I attach my own file so you can compare my 6-character shorthand labels? :rofl: