Anyone know what replaced the 14 bolt?

Caleb

Its a 14 bolt too I believe, but they are quite beefy...They are made by American Motors or something like that...

spiderman

Amish dude
Yeah, I was under a duramax and counted 14 bolts. But these are friggin' huge! Anyone know the ring gear size, or any other specs? I thought dodge was using strickly spicer stuff now?

Too Far

parts is parts
11.5" ring. They dropped the bolt in pinion support on this axle though. I think they still use 1.5" shafts. The housing is pretty beefy, it better be! with ~600 lb*ft motors and 16000 lb towing capacity.

Caleb

Too Far said:
11.5" ring. They dropped the bolt in pinion support on this axle though. I think they still use 1.5" shafts. The housing is pretty beefy, it better be! with ~600 lb*ft motors and 16000 lb towing capacity.

show me where you found it says 16K towing...from the chevy site it says even the 3500 dually is only 12K

Too Far

parts is parts
I was working from memory, sorry. The #'s I had in mind were actually for the new Dodge. 600 lb*ft and 16400 lb towing. Since Dodge is using AAM axles on its HD line as well I went with it. These #'s are for the dual wheel truck and if it has a D80 or something different than the AAM I give up.
12000 lbs is still impressive.

Caleb

Too Far said:
I was working from memory, sorry. The #'s I had in mind were actually for the new Dodge. 600 lb*ft and 16400 lb towing. Since Dodge is using AAM axles on its HD line as well I went with it. These #'s are for the dual wheel truck and if it has a D80 or something different than the AAM I give up.
12000 lbs is still impressive.

yep, I agree 12K is still very respectable...too bad its a Chevy:p

supergper said:
yep, I agree 12K is still very respectable...too bad its a Chevy:p

Ok, GM pickups are using the 9.5" 14bolt behind the 6.0, the 10.5" 14bolt behind the 8.1, and the 11.5" 14bolt behind the Dmax (and some 8.1?). All three axles are made by AAM.

The GM HD pickup tow ratings go up to 15,900 for 5th-wheel setups, depending on how the rig is optioned. Reciever hitch (conventional) towing is limited to 12,000lbs for both pickups and burbs (8.1/6.6 and typically 4.10 gears).

Yup, the RAM600 is rated at 16,400 for 5th-wheel towing.

Last edited:

cyberduke

Hairy Bagel
Maverick said:
Ok, GM pickups are using the 9.5" 14bolt behind the 6.0, the 10.5" 14bolt behind the 8.1, and the 11.5" 14bolt behind the Dmax (and some 8.1?). All three axles are made by AAM.

The GM HD pickup tow ratings go up to 15,900 for 5th-wheel setups, depending on how the rig is optioned. Reciever hitch (conventional) towing is limited to 12,000lbs for both pickups and burbs (8.1/6.6 and typically 4.10 gears).

Yup, the RAM600 is rated at 16,400 for 5th-wheel towing.

Ah how I've missed the flying numbers! :D