Anyone raise pigs here?

comingdown

Thinking of getting some pigs. 2 to be exact. Been reading up about them and was wanting some (any) advice from my fellow Utah crew about what has worked well for you. Thanks

Cascadia

Undecided
I had pot belly pigs growing up. They were awesome as pets. Actually very clean. They only pooped in the same spot for years. I would put a harness on them and walk them around the block like a dog.

comingdown

That is definitely possible. I'm building their pen, and I'm planning on doing two every 6 months, so 4 a year. Prob keep one, my bro will have one, and my sisters might want some, and if not I'll sell them. Not really sure on the logistics of the selling but we could hammer that out. Gonna smoke a whole hog?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
My father-in-law raised some a few years back. These were larger pigs, for meat--I don't know the breed. I remember going to feed them...it was kinda fun, since they got SO EXCITED knowing their food was coming. :rofl: They did stink really badly though, you could smell them for 100 yards. (they were in a pen in a horse pasture area)

DAA

Many years ago, I worked with an old guy that raised pigs. Had been doing it for decades. He kept about 50 at a time when I knew him, but he said for a lot of years he kept hundreds and made his living off them. County (Salt Lake) kept making it harder and harder for him and reducing the number he could keep. Was down to only a small part of his original operation when I knew him. Stink doesn't begin to describe it. And neither does excited about their food! He picked up throw away stuff from what was then the Southland factory at the International center where they made burritos for every 7-11 in the land. He had an old beater flat bed with 55 gallon drums on it he'd pick up burrito filling and dough and whatever in every night.

If he wasn't careful, and it happened every so often, the pigs would start tying to eat the truck and had some surprising success in doing so. They got the rear bumper clean off one night. Tail light wires were needing repaired on a regular basis. Side boards had to be replaced fairly regular, they'd eat them every chance they got.

Pretty resourceful and strong escape artists too. Took some pretty serious attention and maintenance to keep ahead of them and keep them contained where they were supposed to be. With as many as he had, it was more or less a full time job feeding and caring for them and repairing the sections of their environment they managed to eat.

Sure tasted good though! Was in on the roasting and eating of quite a few of them.

- DAA

comingdown

Yeah, I plan on making their pens plenty stout. And I have heard they stink, but my neighbor has 4 and I don't really notice it, and tons of people have horses so what's a few more flies around. I am also thinking of going with an automatic feeder. But seriously they eat and smack their lips is very entertaining.

muleskinner

Many years ago, I worked with an old guy that raised pigs. Had been doing it for decades. He kept about 50 at a time when I knew him, but he said for a lot of years he kept hundreds and made his living off them. County (Salt Lake) kept making it harder and harder for him and reducing the number he could keep. Was down to only a small part of his original operation when I knew him. Stink doesn't begin to describe it. And neither does excited about their food! He picked up throw away stuff from what was then the Southland factory at the International center where they made burritos for every 7-11 in the land. He had an old beater flat bed with 55 gallon drums on it he'd pick up burrito filling and dough and whatever in every night.

If he wasn't careful, and it happened every so often, the pigs would start tying to eat the truck and had some surprising success in doing so. They got the rear bumper clean off one night. Tail light wires were needing repaired on a regular basis. Side boards had to be replaced fairly regular, they'd eat them every chance they got.

Pretty resourceful and strong escape artists too. Took some pretty serious attention and maintenance to keep ahead of them and keep them contained where they were supposed to be. With as many as he had, it was more or less a full time job feeding and caring for them and repairing the sections of their environment they managed to eat.

Sure tasted good though! Was in on the roasting and eating of quite a few of them.

- DAA

My last job I was general manager of a biogas power plant that ran off pig shit. I pumped nearly a millon gallons per day of pig waste, 24/7. We pumped waste from 650,000 pigs. If you want to smell a foul odor, go visit that power plant:eek: I plan on getting a couple pigs next year also, along with some pack goats.