Anyone running a Spool

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Just curious if anyone is running a spool or not.

What is everyones views in running one in a daily driver rig?? and if you are for it Front or Rear??

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
I like spools! Sure they're harder on tires and let you know they're there when turning corners, but can't beat the traction. Some people might argue this, but I believe they're better for axles. A locker "can" let one side slip, and so when that tire spinning on the opposite side grabs, somethin might let loose. A spool keeps equal, constant pressure on both axles. Ever noticed how most people breaking axles are using lockers and not spools or arb's?

And I know some people are really going to argue this, but if you're really cheap, it's not that big of a deal to put a spool in the front end, if and only if, you can unlock your hubs. I call it the poor man's arb. I just lock and unlock the driver side hub to turn. It won't turn with it locked in. And if I didn't have the weight of a V8 up front, I'd drag the front tires in reverse.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, everyone says save your money and do it right, but I'm making it work. Let the ridiculing begin.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by rustybronco
I...I believe they're better for axles. A locker "can" let one side slip, and so when that tire spinning on the opposite side grabs, somethin might let loose. ...

I will have to argue that one... An ARB or any other selectable locker for that matter if operating correctly, should engage 100%. I have not had one instance of slip out of my ARB. I would have to say that the constant load and torque on a spool equiped daily driver axle, will greatly reduce the life and strength of that axle. On a trail rig, sure, but in anything driven on the road... Nope... just my opinion...:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
... put a spool in the front end, if and only if, you can unlock your hubs. I call it the poor man's arb. I just lock and unlock the driver side hub to turn. It won't turn with it locked in. ....

Sounds like a long day on the trail, getting out to unlock a hub everytime you come to a technical section where turning is manditory. I guess the addition of a Rockram would greatly assist this but I still think that it is way to much added stress to your axle.

But if you've got a co-pilot with nothing better to do... make him you switch...:D

Better yet, rig up a switch that can electronically engage and disengage your hubs... hahahaha :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
See?! Don't listen to me, I'll shut up now.:D

No, no, no... I enjoy your opinion, without different opinions, this sport wouldn't be half of what it is today. See, now I can say I know a guy that has spools and likes em'...:D ;)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I ran a spool in the rear for over a year. Nothing beats a spool off-road. I didn't mind driving it around at first, just kept rotating my tires as they would wear fast. I think the biggest down fall of a spool is tire wear...

I recently switched to a Detroit though, and I'm loving it even more now.

trpl xj

The two biggest problems that I have seen with a spool are tire wear and ring and pinion wear. A friend of mine has one in the rear of his Bronco and he has to reset the backlash on his ring and pinion about once a year. mabey his is a one in a million case, or mabey he's using cheap gears I don't know. Thats just what I have seen from his spool. Look at POR about 90% of the Toy guys over there use them and swear by them.

Last edited:

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
I run a spool in my rig, i dig it. no moving parts, reliable, consistent and easy to install, a arb is 3 to 4 times the money without the air compressor. BOTTOM line is it works well off-road and they work well on the street IMO. I think von needs to get in on this thread. uhh von are you there??:D

Bones

Had Chezzy locker, then a Detroit. Going spool now. Hate the drivetrain slop of the previous lockers. ARB or Elec would be nice, but for the rear a spool IMO is the ****...no need for all that complex stuff in the rear.

For the front a selectable is my choice. I was hesitant to get an ARB but very happy I did. Made me buy a powertank to for onboard air ;)

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by 1\4elliptic toy
uhh von are you there??:D

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... Huh? What?

Spool it! Ya just gotta keep your tires rotated often, put up with barking tires, and deal with a slight increase in tread wear. The traction and predictability is a nice feature.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I've been really happy with my spooled rear. I have not been thrilled with the Detroit I have up front. I would put a spool in the front except I know I would never be able to make another turn. I will be looking very hard at the new electric selectables after they have proven themselves. I'd hate to put another ARB in...

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
How "often" is often in regard to tire rotation?? Do I need to worry about breaking rear 44 axle shafts?? I carry 2 spares...but that doesn't mean I want to use them:D

Caleb

Originally posted by RockMonkey
I've been really happy with my spooled rear. I have not been thrilled with the Detroit I have up front. I would put a spool in the front except I know I would never be able to make another turn. I will be looking very hard at the new electric selectables after they have proven themselves. I'd hate to put another ARB in...

Why haven't, or what haven't you liked about your detroit up front...I was planning on running a detroit up front because I am not a fan of ANY of the selectables right now???

and I used to run a spool in the rear when I had my 9"...I liked it but it was harder on parts...I sheared a center pin and I believe it was due to the spool, it was a brand new 5/16 center pin so it wasn't fatigued...I would prolly run a spool again but the detroit is only 3 bills for the 14 bolt...and the mini spool is 200-300 so I would rather go detroit...

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Originally posted by supergper

Why haven't, or what haven't you liked about your detroit up front...I was planning on running a detroit up front because I am not a fan of ANY of the selectables right now???

and I used to run a spool in the rear when I had my 9"...I liked it but it was harder on parts...I sheared a center pin and I believe it was due to the spool, it was a brand new 5/16 center pin so it wasn't fatigued...I would prolly run a spool again but the detroit is only 3 bills for the 14 bolt...and the mini spool is 200-300 so I would rather go detroit...
It takes it a second to lock up. I notice when I'm driving along, and then I have to climb a vertical ledge with only one front tire, that it will push for a fraction of a second, killing any momentum I had before it will start to turn that tire. Not really that big of an issue, just not the no compromises traction I was used to having with the ARB. I will (god willing) never buy another ARB. They are too easy to break. That's why I'm anxious to see if any of the new electric ones turn out to be good.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit

Well you dig everything a little differently up there in Kamas...;) :D

OK then WAR IT IS PUNK!!!!!!! :D Oh and by the way when is your busted a$$ rig going to be fixed? HA ha! Why dunt ya come on up kamas way i'm fidna show ya how we doit in kamas (sammi lover):D