anyone running the new mtr's?

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Tim, we haven't heard from you in a while good to see you post up. Hope all is well.

Oh and sorry I don't know anything about the new MTRs. Sorry to hijack... :D

I think Mbryson is running 40"s

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I don't mind the look of them, but I agree that the KM2's seem to be the way to go these days. the prices have come down enough on them that they aren't rediculous.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I have them. They're pretty decent. Nothing spectacular off-road, but they do work pretty well. I'd say they're an improvement over over the other sets of MTRs I've had (32 & 35"), not that that's a fair comparison to 40" tires. They do run down the road pretty well and I've not even balanced them.

I think if you like the old ones, you'll like the new ones more.

pkrfctr

Tim, we haven't heard from you in a while good to see you post up. Hope all is well.

Oh and sorry I don't know anything about the new MTRs. Sorry to hijack... :D

I think Mbryson is running 40"s

I'm always lurking. good to hear from you, lets get together and do something! I've been neglecting the jeep for awhile so need to get out(especially after what its costing me next week to pass inspection). btw hows the horse?(um i mean dog)

think I'll try the mtr's. big o can get them here next week. I love the old ones. Every tire I've lost has been due to sidewalls so thinking the kevlar is a good idea. snows not really an issue when your running 2 psi, ask anyone on last years heber snow run. You can pretty much follow the snowmobiles at that pressure.

If I dont like them you'll see them in the for sale section in a month.

TimB

Homesick
I've been thinking about getting a set of these. Last week in Moab, I was wheeling with a friend that has been running them for a year. We were on Dubinky Well road and he got a puncture - about the size of a pencil. We did our usual thing and plugged it and aired it back up. About 2 miles later it started going flat again. This time the puncture had ripped to about 4" long and there was a visiable bulge on the tire.

Since Goodyear had thier truck there, he took it to them. They said you cannot plug this tire in the field. It requires an "engineered" patch - applied at a tire store. When he went to get it taken off and replaced with a spare at Grand Tire - they reported all of the Kevlar MTR's seem to do that when punctured.

In light of this - I'm looking again. I can't have a tire that you can't field repair.

The Goodyear guys also said the original puncture was because he was running aired down. So the manufacturer says no airing down and no plugging them.............

Hopefully that was bad info from the guys at the trailer. I really like the tire otherwise - quiet, good traction, and a 35" is really a 35".

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I just did some snow wheeling with my KM2's, They are incredible!!!!!

I went up Pritchett with a guy in an LJ that had too much traction to slide with those, and nearly rolled because of it. :D I'd be into a set of KM2's for sure.

And you can plug them. -_-

Johnny4X4

i asked this same question all over moab last week, everyone who had the street version said they love them. the goodyear guys at the trailer said "they are a major improvement over the former MTR" i said yeah but they arent available in a 37-15.

alot of the "tube buggies" were running the comp compound, i watched them for awhile and was impressed until a trashed out old crap buggie running some km2's spanked them.

anyway, after doing all the resarch i have, i am going with the KM2's (also not in 37-15)
but alot better reviews in moab. (available at costco in many sizes by the way)

as for the patch/plug thing, alot of tires do that in the sidewall, my old BFG Muds were crazy with ripping sidewalls, i used a bunch of duct tape to get off a trail once, since then i have added a set of patches and glue to my tire plug kit.

just my $0.02

TimB

Homesick
i asked this same question all over moab last week, everyone who had the street version said they love them. the goodyear guys at the trailer said "they are a major improvement over the former MTR" i said yeah but they arent available in a 37-15.

alot of the "tube buggies" were running the comp compound, i watched them for awhile and was impressed until a trashed out old crap buggie running some km2's spanked them.

anyway, after doing all the resarch i have, i am going with the KM2's (also not in 37-15)
but alot better reviews in moab. (available at costco in many sizes by the way)

as for the patch/plug thing, alot of tires do that in the sidewall, my old BFG Muds were crazy with ripping sidewalls, i used a bunch of duct tape to get off a trail once, since then i have added a set of patches and glue to my tire plug kit.

just my $0.02

This puncture was near the center of the tread, between two tread blocks - not a sidewall puncture. I've ruined a few due to a sidewall puncture, but this is the first time I've seen a small tread puncture destroy a tire.

Oh yeah - here is the official reply from Goodyear when we asked them about it on the web site:
Tim:

Thank you for contacting our web site.

All Goodyear tires, may be repaired in accordance with the guidelines established by the Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) regarding the approved method of repairing auto tires.

The approved repair method recommended by the RMA is using a plug patch.

Regards,
Kathleen Miller
Customer Relations

Last edited:

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
I love the looks of the new MTR and have heard alot of good things. The KM2 would be my choice of tire but I'm sure you wouldn't be let down by the MTR at all:D