Anyone wheel with Thornbirds?

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
My new ride has 33X14 Super Swamper Thornbirds. They're a little too wide for my taste and are awful driving on the street. But I'm tossing the idea around of setting them up on some beadlocks just for wheeling. Anybody have some input on this? I'm trying to save myself some money right now so new better tires are out of the question. I'll probably find some BFG's for the street for now. And speaking of beadlocks, what's being said about the "build them yourself" beadlocks where you weld the outer ring on yourself?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
the DIY beadlocks are sweet. Thornturds biggest problem is the lack of large voids between the tread. Carve some nobs out of those things and then wheel them.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I went up constrictor and Barrett canyon on borrowed thorn-chickens and they were alright. I like my TSLs better and my SSRs better but they should do you just fine. If you don't mind carving them up, do a little custom tread blocking but be careful, the tread is molded into the carcass, if you try to dig too deep, you get into the carcass on the thornbird, on any other tire, the carcass is round.....whoever siped these thorn-chickens didn't know that and they threw a chunk of rubber about the diameter of a quarter and it went to the carcass!!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
we have 31x12.5 thorntirds on my samurai, they came with it. they are the crappiest tires i have ever wheeled with. they are to stiff, even if you air them down, they are just too solid. they are siped and they still suck. my 31 mud terrains that were really bald performed better.

-nate

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
Originally posted by xj_punk
they are to stiff, even if you air them down, my 31 mud terrains that were really bald performed better.

-nate

I hear ya. I've always gone with mud terrains, but I figured if I ran some beadlocks I could drop my pressure down to.....0, and it might work.:D

SnwMnkys

I have some 35x14.5x15 Thornbirds and was going to run them on my EB, but have decided against it since so many people say they blow nuts. Ill probably just sell them.

Haha, here's another, I had 31 T birds, and surprise, they blew. I only ran 12 lbs on the street, sometimes 8 and they still rode like crap. They're so heavy and stiff they're almost useless. They wouldn't countour to the rocks, and they wore down way fast.
Also, they caused death wobble too.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I think the only reason that these ones are working....however slightly they may be working...is because they are siped to death. they have really close siping that is just way overkill. they tend to chunk bad too when siped!!

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
i think they are ugly..................so i am not padding.........

this line really made me laugh......

Originally posted by xj_punk
.............they are siped and they still suck........... -nate

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
This kid that I knew.... He went to high school with me. He drove a 94 Toyota Truck, lifted and all outfitted. We all figured he was a poser (which is cool, if you want to put all that money into your rig and not use it) He has a sticker on the back quarter panel that says TRD Moab Edition.

So we decided to go to Moab, and we asked if he wanted to come. He met up with us 1 day and we took him on Moab Rim... (BWAHAHAHA)

fc40537b.jpg

He couldn't make it up the Crack on Moab Rim... He had to turn around and hike the trail while we wheeled it! BWAHAHAHA!

Then, later that night, all he would talk about is how Thornbirds are the best tire and that is all he will ever buy (It's all he's owned and the only reason he buys them is because he thinks they "look" cool! POSER!)

He was asking us what pressure to run his tires at... I told him I ran my BFG MT's at about 10-12 without beadlocks, so he went down to that, and finally we got him to go down to 8... He still had trouble conforming to the rocks, we didn't dare take him below 8 psi or he would've blown a bead.

(P.S. Funny thing is when we were all in our rigs we all were on the same CB Channel and he didn't have a CB, so the whole entire time we were talking crap on him and his rig and the way he wheeled... Way funny... Guess you had to be there!)