Northern Utah Anything planned on Turkey Weekend? (Nov 28th - Dec 1st)

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Got confirmation from my work that I will have Thanksgiving and Black Friday off from work. So with a 4 day weekend I would like to get out on a small trip. I'm pretty new at exploring any remote areas so is anyone here planning any trips that weekend? If there's any suggestions that I should take to visit or if anyone would like to go on a trip and be a guide, it would be awesome! Not looking to do strictly rock crawling, more looking for the backcountry.

If anyone has ideas to a good place to visit is or want to join in on, put in your suggestions and I or we can start planning a trip.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Some places I am considering for that weekend are the San Rafael Swell and/or goblin valley. Are both of these areas friendly to venture in? I'm not looking to do any serious amount of hiking on this trip, I'm happy with sight seeing from the truck or walking around nearby areas and setting up camp wherever I may be at that time.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
If you want to venture up North, I wouldn't mind hitting up whatever is open at Hardware Ranch, Providence Canyon, or Millville Canyon. I will have to see what is open, but I will be in Providence Thurs/Fri. Not sure what the plans are for Sat yet. I have to check with my better half.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I'm open for that also. Basically anything that's new I am up for doing. How's the terrain in Providence? Are you doing a daytime thing or will you be camping out?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I would be going Friday during the day. Haven't thought about camping since I don't know the plan for Saturday, or what is open, but I am not opposed to it. It would likely be COLD since it is in the mountains.

Providence Canyon is rocky. I wouldn't anticipate being able to make the top due to snow, but you never know. I will call tomorrow and see what is open up there, unless a Cache Valley native wants to chime in.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Alright, I would be up for a camp out friday night if the circumstances allow. If there's more ground to cover by extending the trip then I am all for it. But I'm flexible. I'm still open differential as of right now, but I might have enough time to insteall the rear locker if you think it would be best to take on that trip locked.

I dont mind cold conditions either, I figure it will be a good trial run since I am wanting to go on the FYTO trip and I imagine that will be even colder :D

spencevans

Overlander
Some places I am considering for that weekend are the San Rafael Swell and/or goblin valley. Are both of these areas friendly to venture in? I'm not looking to do any serious amount of hiking on this trip, I'm happy with sight seeing from the truck or walking around nearby areas and setting up camp wherever I may be at that time.

I have often ventured East of Goblin Valley. You could spend a day at the north Gilson Butte alone. Also there is a lot of roads East of the HWY 24 like the Hans Flat Rd. The Hans Flat Rd will take you over to Canyon Lands and Little Saucer Basin. Lots of fun stuff to see down in that area.

North or Little Gilson Butte.

10866052253_dd9ed9d6ae_b.jpg

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Are the roads kinda scenic or do you need to be going through obstacles to get through some of these roads?

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I don't think there's been anything officially posted on it in the forum. But I think Steve or Kurt might have the info on it, since it's on the winter solstice on Saturday the 21st of December I figure it gives me a good idea of when the actual trip takes place.

Are you planning to go also?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I searched all over Expedition Utah and didn't see anything for FYTO 5. I did see it on the calendar for Cruiser Outfitters. I am thinking about attending that.

Back to this thread though, I don't think anything in the Mountains up North will be viable. I am still game for a pre FYTO in the West Desert on Fri / Sat though. Maybe head out from Brigham City to Promontory, then explore the old railroad roads up in that area. I wouldn't be opposed to camping on the trail Friday night either.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Ok that can be doable. Have there been trip reports of the promontory area or railroads? I was looking around these trip reports but didn't see anything specific to it. Just to get an idea of what the area is like. I'll see if google maps can give me some info on location also.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I searched all over Expedition Utah and didn't see anything for FYTO 5. I did see it on the calendar for Cruiser Outfitters. I am thinking about attending that...

There has been a thread for contributing members up for a few months, the general forum one went up yesterday. Please be sure to sign up for the event on the forum.

Ok that can be doable. Have there been trip reports of the promontory area or railroads? I was looking around these trip reports but didn't see anything specific to it. Just to get an idea of what the area is like. I'll see if google maps can give me some info on location also.

Of course:
http://www.expeditionutah.com/featured-trails/the-transcontinental-railroad/
Lots of trip reports too on EU and here on RME too, search transcontinental or Utah Ghost Rail Trail.

Here is one that popped up on RME
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?89131-Transcontinental-Rail-Road-03-03-2012

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
There has been a thread for contributing members up for a few months, the general forum one went up yesterday. Please be sure to sign up for the event on the forum.

Contributing funds, or content? I signed up for EU a while back, but haven't been too active there. Was curious what a contributing member is...

I haven't had a chance to look at those trip reports, but I am open to exploring the spiral jetty, locomotive springs, and anything else on the map that looks interesting.

When and where would you want to meet up on Friday? I will already be up North, so I would say meet somewhere in Brigham City ( the Walmart or Flying J for example) around 1pm or later? Head out and explore, then stop somewhere to camp when it gets too dark. Thoughts?