Northern Utah Anything planned on Turkey Weekend? (Nov 28th - Dec 1st)

sixstringsteve

Just think of all the trip reports that have inspired you in the past. Think of it as a way to give back to the 4x4 community. :)

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
The plan as I have dug in today looks like this.
Friday: Meet at the Flying J in Brigham and top off the tank and gas cans. Head to Golden Spike Monument and then on to the Spiral Jetty. From there, it appears there is an airplane becon on the map that might be cool to find, then off toward Kelton to find a place to camp.
Saturday: Head over toward Russian Knoll and find the graves there (http://www.molokane.org/places/USA/Utah/index.html), then wind our way to Devils Playground and the Radio Tower overlooking the valley. Explore the Bovine Mountains and roads through there. If time and weather permit, head north through Rocky Pass and toward Grouse Creek.

I am not opposed to making this a quick reference trip, and then head back for more time at a later date to explore more. As I dug into the CalTopo US 24k Topo Maps in BackCountry Navigator on my tablet, there are roads all over the place over there that could lead to some cool places if they are on public land and open to use. I am not sure what to expect, but I am looking forward to the trip!

I am not sure how well this map will show up since it is a screenshot off my tablet, but it shows some of the ground we hope to cover.
NW UT Waypoints.jpg

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Ivd charged up both batteries on my DSLR and will be taking a couple of GoPros. So hopefully with enough stops I will be able to get enough pics to make a good report of it :)

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I'm back from the trip. I had to dip out a little earlier than the rest. But I'll be posting up a trip report soon once I've gone thru the pictures I took. But it was an awesome time and thank you to Dave for making it all happen and the guys that came along too!

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I am home, unpacked, the Jeep is washed, and I am too. What a great trip. I hate to tell you that you ducked out a little too soon, but you did. I'll add some pics to your report. Thanks for coming out! I had an absolute blast!