Anywhere that rents tube bender?

sean_pistol

I know it's a long shot, but is there anyone that rents out a tube bender either here or in Idaho? Wouldn't matter if it's manual or hydraulic/air, need 1.75" dies and to rent it for a week.

UFAB

Ha ha. ACE rents. Ya right

Without experience, ya can chew up a die rather quickly and not watch pins that pop out and go boom.

That's what a deposit is all about.

R

rockdog

I'll rent mine to you, fully hydraulic JD2 model 4.

You are Liable for damages though.

Wow Chance, you are trusting! I let my nephew borrow mine. (Full hydro also) the die came back all chewed up. Grrr! Had to take emery cloth to it to try and clean it up as best I could.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I always see newbies leave the pins halfway out and then start bending, that will tweak up a bender in no time

carsonc1974

Maybe a better way to go is to post up what your looking to do... there are alot of great fabricators on here that will be very fair when it comes to pricing. I know I would be a whole lot more willing to let someone come use my tools at my shop rather then sending them home with someone.

sean_pistol

I have been reading into the RogueFab hydraulic/air bender and considering purchasing it, but in reality I just need to make a dozen or so bends and don't know if the cost would be justified. Haven't ran one before, but I want to avoid paying someone to do the work when I like to make things myself.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I've also seen pins not put in all the way bend the arms on the bender. Not a cheap mistake...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If you can figure out exactly what you need bent, (and where, what rotation, etc) and get your tubes cut to general length first, then the actual bending won't take that long. All the figurin' is what takes the time, and then notching afterward. So for the dozen bends you need, I'm sure could be knocked out in a couple of hours pretty easily. (if they're all figured out and marked prior to beginning)

I'm sure several people, including myself, would be willing to help you out if that were the case.

carsonc1974

I have been reading into the RogueFab hydraulic/air bender and considering purchasing it, but in reality I just need to make a dozen or so bends and don't know if the cost would be justified. Haven't ran one before, but I want to avoid paying someone to do the work when I like to make things myself.

If ya want to do it yourself, I would look for a bender. I would avoid that rogue fab one, looks like it would make multi-plane banding a pain! You can start relatively cheap if you go with the "GOT- Trikes" plans. Plus its good practice if you like to fab. I think someone was trying to sell one a while back so maybe check the classifieds?

There is a learning curve with benders, and alot can happen pretty quick, especially if they are hydraulic.

R

rockdog

I built the got trikes one several years ago. I built it full hydro to start with. I was close to $1000.00 into it with dies when finished. The dies are pro tools dies. Check out the prices on them. They are not cheap. If you plan on building more stuff over the years, it might be worth it. If not, your gonna be money ahead to pay for someone to make the bends for you like Carl. As mentioned, there is a pretty steep learning curve to bending tube. Translated, you ruin a lot of very pricy tube.

sean_pistol

Thanks for all the input in this thread- kind of reaffirms that purchasing a bender won't be justified after this project, especially with the steep learning curve. I would like to have the skill, but might wait for a larger project in the future that I want to tackle.

If you can figure out exactly what you need bent, (and where, what rotation, etc) and get your tubes cut to general length first, then the actual bending won't take that long. All the figurin' is what takes the time, and then notching afterward. So for the dozen bends you need, I'm sure could be knocked out in a couple of hours pretty easily. (if they're all figured out and marked prior to beginning)

I'm sure several people, including myself, would be willing to help you out if that were the case.

This sounds like the smart thing to do. I wanted to build a front bumper, but am now thinking I might just purchase the Addicted Offroad tube bumper and add some plate to it to save some headaches. For my rear bumper, I'd literally just need two bends for quarter panel protection, like seen below. Hopefully enough pizza and beer can buy that.

If ya want to do it yourself, I would look for a bender. I would avoid that rogue fab one, looks like it would make multi-plane banding a pain! You can start relatively cheap if you go with the "GOT- Trikes" plans. Plus its good practice if you like to fab. I think someone was trying to sell one a while back so maybe check the classifieds?

There is a learning curve with benders, and alot can happen pretty quick, especially if they are hydraulic.

Good to know, thanks! Saw the one in the classifieds, it must have gone quick.

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
I'll still offer to help. My work is seasonal so my schedule is fairly open until April. I'll offer use of my bender, my help, use of my CAD tube bending program for minimal/fair compensation. I even have a bunch of 1.75" DOM I could sell you.

I know what it's like to need the proper tool for the job, but not justifying buying it for the project.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
You did the right thing, Chance does great work. I agree, bending tube is not as easy as it seems and takes time to do it well. If you don't do it often it is easy to forget the tricks

leemastergt

I'll still offer to help. My work is seasonal so my schedule is fairly open until April. I'll offer use of my bender, my help, use of my CAD tube bending program for minimal/fair compensation. I even have a bunch of 1.75" DOM I could sell you.

I know what it's like to need the proper tool for the job, but not justifying buying it for the project.

Tried to PM you regarding a quote for some work for me too, but your inbox is full. Do you have a shop and phone number I could call you and get some info?

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Tried to PM you regarding a quote for some work for me too, but your inbox is full. Do you have a shop and phone number I could call you and get some info?

Technically this is my vendor account, (it's still Chocflip201) you can PM this account, or call or text 801-420-6205. I will empty my chocflip PM box.