ARB advice

troutbum

cubi-kill
all the parts (except the beadlocks) have arrived :cool:, my front 60 should be out of the machine shop today. Next step is the ARB install. Coupla questions.

1-I bought the ARB from a guy in AZ who had changed his mind. He had lost the instructions. Anyone know where I can download them?

2-Was going to do this myself, never done a R&P. Am I making a mistake to try and cut my teeth with an ARB install??
Six states wants $350 :eek:

3-Any tips or suggestions?? Was hoping to get the axle back together this weekend

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
if you have never done a ring and pinion install, you are a fool if you try to do it yourself. PAY THE MONEY TO HAVE IT DONE RIGHT!!!

there is your suggestion.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I would also say, call around.

See what RockLogic would do it for.

If it's the rear it is Very important to get it right.

I have tried to do it myself and it was a pain in the,, well you know,,,
If I could watch someone do it first, I'm sure I could do it after.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If you really want to do the R&P yourself, research it out. Setting R&P's are not as hard as people make it out to be. If you have the correct tools at hand, the job is actually quite easy. You just need to be able to read your patterns, and have lots of patience. The process can be Very time consuming.

Everybody told me to have a pro do my R&P's 3 years ago, I said screw that... If I have a pro do it, how am I ever going to learn it? So I set up my diffs and then I had a pro check them, and tell me what needed to be done. Best way to learn IMHO...

troutbum

cubi-kill
Originally posted by spencurai
if you have never done a ring and pinion install, you are a fool if you try to do it yourself. PAY THE MONEY TO HAVE IT DONE RIGHT!!!

there is your suggestion.

wait didn't you pay for a antiwrap bar :p.

I do appreciate the suggestion ;). So are you saying that the R&P install is that much different for an ARB ?? If so how?

It really hurts me to pay for labor no matter what it is. When it was time to rebuild the auto, people said pay to have it done right, but I have yet to do something that later I thought "I should have paid someone to do this". Then again I don't want a 600 dollar ARB and 200.oo R&P to be the first...hmmm I will have to shop around

I should also say that I am setting the rear up regardless (gotta have a first time), the ARB is for the front.

troutbum

cubi-kill
Originally posted by Herzog
If you really want to do the R&P yourself, research it out. Setting R&P's are not as hard as people make it out to be. If you have the correct tools at hand, the job is actually quite easy. You just need to be able to read your patterns, and have lots of patience. The process can be Very time consuming.

Everybody told me to have a pro do my R&P's 3 years ago, I said screw that... If I have a pro do it, how am I ever going to learn it? So I set up my diffs and then I had a pro check them, and tell me what needed to be done. Best way to learn IMHO...

I hear ya :D, I am doing the rear! My question is does the ARB make the install that much more complicated??

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
yes I did pay for an anti wrap bar. what is your point. I don't have access to the tools to make it and 139$ is a steal. my time is worth more than that building it myself. it is not complicated but time consuming. I work 50+ hours a week and go to school full time. Frankly I don't see your point.

as far as the ARB setup goes, it is different. I would never setup my first one in my carport without an expert looking over my shoulder telling me what to do and not to do.

talk to andy at 6-states, they make a lot of money off people that get it done by a "buddy" or done by themselves. Most of the time, You end up with trashed gears and trashed locker and another bill to have it done right. are you willing to bet your ARB and gears that you can do it right the first time?

BTW transmissions aren't that hard but if you can rebuild your own transmissions, R&P is an attainable skill and I don't doubt you could learn it.

troutbum

cubi-kill
Originally posted by spencurai
yes I did pay for an anti wrap bar. what is your point. I don't have access to the tools to make it and 139$ is a steal. my time is worth more than that building it myself. it is not complicated but time consuming. I work 50+ hours a week and go to school full time. Frankly I don't see your point.

Just messin' man, no harm intended...

I wonder if I could pay someone to "look over my shoulder" I would gladly pay 100 bucks for a lesson....

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I know andy ad six-states occasionally does side jobs for a fee. PM him and ask. I know he is a very busy man with EJS coming up so drop one in his box. he just goes by andy on this board.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by Jeremy
definitley pay for it, 99% of complaints about ARB's come from poor installs.

Exactally.

If you really want to setup your own gears, I would do the front axle first. You'll always drive on the rearend, and if you screwed up the Gears, they will die quickly. On the other hand, how often will your front diff be used, in comparison? Only when you lock the hubs.

Otherwise, have Andy @ Six States hook you up. He knows how to do it right the first time.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Originally posted by troutbum
all the parts (except the beadlocks) have arrived :cool:, my front 60 should be out of the machine shop today. Next step is the ARB install. Coupla questions.

1-I bought the ARB from a guy in AZ who had changed his mind. He had lost the instructions. Anyone know where I can download them?

2-Was going to do this myself, never done a R&P. Am I making a mistake to try and cut my teeth with an ARB install??
Six states wants $350 :eek:

3-Any tips or suggestions?? Was hoping to get the axle back together this weekend

Which Six States did you call? I never chgarge that much to install an ARB, right Shawn?!

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by Andy

Which Six States did you call? I never chgarge that much to install an ARB, right Shawn?!

That's true it was only $340.00....

No, Andy will hook you up. You just need to ask for him.

Attachments

• sleep.gif
    sleep.gif
    246 bytes · Views: 49

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Originally posted by troutbum

Just messin' man, no harm intended...

I wonder if I could pay someone to "look over my shoulder" I would gladly pay 100 bucks for a lesson....

You will pay more than $100 for a lesson. If you call me I will see what I can do for you, 488-4677.

pumpkinbronc

ONETONPUMPKIN
Hey Troutbum, my bro lives in WVC and could probably help ya out as far as lookin over yur shoulder instructiion, we did gears and ARB in my front 60 last fall, its not to bad. Of course it wasnt our first either. He goes by OCNORB on this board pm him see what he can do for ya.

kb7sei

I didn't think gears were that hard, but I was mostly watching. It's mostly just set, check, set, check. The instructions that came with my gears from Randy's were easy to follow and I think I could have done it myself. The ARB instructions were good as well. If you still need them, let me know and I can copy mine for you or something. The nice thing about the ARB ones is that if you are re-using the existing gears they tell you how to calculate the correct amount of shim to keep it the same as the stock carrier. I would try to set them up, then post pics of the pattern and I'm sure someone here can tell you what you did wrong. :D

As for ARB install error, just use common sense. Set the gears up properly, backlash, pattern, etc. per the instructions. Then route your ARB line to a good thick spot on the housing without running it through the gears. :rolleyes: Drill a hole there, tap it, install the ARB fittings and you're good. Watch the fittings, there are two different size ferrules and you need to make sure you use the right one in the right place. They look about the same, we used a micrometer to make sure. Oh, and make sure to clean the drill/tap shavings out before running it! If you can follow instructions, you can probably handle it.

troutbum

cubi-kill
Thanks guys.
[rant]
If I could get the machine shop to finish the damn caps :mad:. Anyone used Love Machine?? They were recommended, I called they said three days, that was three weeks ago... Called today guys said he would call me right back and let me know where he was with it, that was three hours ago:confused: I am driving down there next, pisses me off. I would rather have someone tell me it was going to take a month right up front than dick around like this...

OK [/rant]