Ford ARB Locker Question!!

bamacpl

I am wondering if anyone knows if its ok to install all of the shims OUTSIDE of the seal housing(between the seal housing & the axle tube),leaving no shims INSIDE of the seal housing between the seal housing itself & the bearing race? I heard the machined groove on the inside of the seal housing itself could rub on the bearing cage & cause it to bind?
This is on a RD167 on a 79' Ford kingpin D60

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Its been awhile since I installed an ARB (I only sell Zip lockers anymore) I believe as long as there is the master shim to keep the seal housing off the bearing race you should be ok, most models of zip lockers have done away with the master shim and I think it was a good idea

bamacpl

Well I spoke with several people with a lot of knowledge concerning ARB install & I've decided not to put any shims on the inside of the seal housing.....
--the ARB tech support along with a few others with a lot of knowledge on this basically said.....
" as long as the seal housing is not in contact with the carrier bearing cage there should be no issue"

One of the individuals I spoke with that installs these ALOT! Said he never puts the shims inside of the seal housing.

Some of the others said they usually put some on the inside----basically everyone did it slightly different.

I guess I'll find out? :-0

Last edited: