ARB Solenoid Wiring ?

Underdog

ARB Air Lockers, Solenoid Wiring ?

I am in the middle of installing an ARB and have a question about the polarity of the wires for the solenoid. I am not using the ARB wire loom so the QD T Plug that is on the solenoid doesn’t help. Both of the leads on the solenoid are black. Which one should I use as positive? Going off my elementary understanding of those pesky electrons, I think a solenoid switch will work regardless of the polarity but I want to get some one to blame (other than myself) if I screw this up.

Last edited:

Underdog

Well I hooked it up, Just decided to ground to the lower arm of the "T" and it works, found out on another forum it dosent matter which way you set it up. With no current it is closed and no air passes, with current it is open and allows air to flow to the locker.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I thought it was like that, but I wasn't positive, so I didn't want to mislead if I was wrong. It's been a while since I hooked up an ARB.... Too long.... is it tax time yet?

Bud

'98 ZJ
the only bad thing about ARB's wiring kit is that you can't engage the front locker without the rear being in, so good on you for doing it yourself. Don't forget the inline fuses!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Bud said:
the only bad thing about ARB's wiring kit is that you can't engage the front locker without the rear being in, so good on you for doing it yourself. Don't forget the inline fuses!

true, but add a couple connectors to the ARB harness, and you have front lockers too... :D

I've been meaning to put the wiring upgrade and schematic on my website... mabey this will light a fire under my butt...;)

Bud

'98 ZJ
cruiseroutfit said:
true, but add a couple connectors to the ARB harness, and you have front lockers too... :D

I've been meaning to put the wiring upgrade and schematic on my website... mabey this will light a fire under my butt...;)
Send it on over to me when you get a chance, good to have.

Underdog

I just used the supplied ARB wiring diagram for one locker x 2. Each locker will be an isolated circuit so they will operate independently. I have the switches and air installed/ leak checked, but havent had time to install the lockers yet. Hopefully this weekend!

Last edited:

Tech Tim

UD- You're right, on the solenoid, the leg of the "T" is ground, the top is power.

For independant AL operations: The middle wire on the back of the switches is the power in wire, the one below it is power out.

If you look at the ARB wiring diagram, the power comes into the middle of the compressor switch (red wire w/ yellow stripe) and out right below it (red), that wire Ts and sends power to the pressure switch (to arm the compressor) and then to the middle terminal of the "rear" switch. The signal comes out below that (yellow wire) and then Ts, one leg to the rear solenoid and the other to the middle of the "front" switch.

All you have to do is tee into the red wire coming out of the "rear" switch, unplug the yellow wire going into the middle terminal of the "front" switch (tape it up and let it hang), then plug the tee'd wire where the yellow one was.

Now you can hit either switch and the Air Lockers fire, but only after you have turned on the compressor switch.

As a final mod, you can do the same trick by tee-ing into the red w/ yellow wire and then feed that to both the "rear" and "front" switches. Now you can operate all three switches independantly. Just understand that though you may have the Air Lockers ON, they will not engage until the compressor has built up enough air to physically lock them in. This is real handy if you run deep water and your compressor may go under. As long as you have a good solid air system, you can lock your lockers in, shut the compressor off and you don't have to worry about having the compressor kick on while it's under water. Works like a charm here in the rainy PNW.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Tech Tim said:
...For independant AL operations: The middle wire on the back of the switches is the power in wire, the one below it is power out. ...

Awesome tech Tim :D

Is that cool if I put it on my website???

Underdog

TT,
I guess since I installed the Air Comp a few years ago and the lockers are also going in separately I have inadvertently stumbled onto this exact setup. :D
Thanks for the info