ARB $$$

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Man the price of ARB lockers has really skyrocket since the last time I looked at them, yes many years ago..... Has anyone found a dealer with the best price?

Rock Taco

The zip locker from yukon is pretty much the same thing but they dont have as many different applications available. They are also cheaper.

AaronPaige

Not to talk you out of a arb at all, and don't know your application but Yukon offers a competition zip locker that is always lock until you add air just incase something goes wrong with your air supply

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I'm running a Spartan locker right now, I through it in last year for a trip to Moab. That thing is so noisy I'm having a hard time dealing with it. When I pulled out the spider gears one of them was broken, so there is really no going back to open dif.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Zip Lockers are a much better deal and carry a better warranty..... Yukon Zip Locker for the Win

PM mesha on here for the hook up

flexyfool

GDW
The ZIP Lockers have gotten a lot more expensive these last few years. They entered the market with a cut rate price to grab market share and have since been increasing the price.

Dana 60 ARB: $1157
Dana 60 ZIP: $993

Not a whole lot of difference there. I'll pay a 10-20% premium for brand name reliability, track record, and quality any day. Check out

[video=youtube;dyzyAVPTM8c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyzyAVPTM8c[/video] .

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The ZIP Lockers have gotten a lot more expensive these last few years. They entered the market with a cut rate price to grab market share and have since been increasing the price.

Not a whole lot of difference there. I'll pay a 10-20% premium for brand name reliability, track record, and quality any day. Check out

[video=youtube;dyzyAVPTM8c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyzyAVPTM8c[/video] .

He doesn't need to pay anywhere near 993.;) ARBs are a great locker. The ZIP locker is a copy for sure. It is a good copy that has a great warranty to stand behind it. The fact that they will pay for the labor to get it reinstalled is pretty awesome. We have sold a whole bunch of ZIP lockers and haven't had a failure yet. There are a bunch more guys running ARBs that haven't had a problem. I have personally broken an ARB. It was a very expensive fix.

I think getting an ARB or a ZIP locker is a great decision and the end user will be happy with either. The ARB has a long track record and great reputation. The zip is new, but many people like that they can buy a pair and have them installed and buy a compressor to run them for about the same price as buying the ARBs.

Hard call.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Nice video, I'm about quality, not quantity. The video actually say's it best. In this case, the ARB is driving home and the zip is not. When frustration sets in, the difference in price in nothing, saving a few hundred become pointless.

Thanks,

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!

I am not sure what bugs me more. Bad marketing or bad application science.

I don't run ARB or zip lockers so this is just a general observation.

From the marketing side,
1- a head to head test should be non biased and transparent as possible. So not telling which vehicle application is being used and the cheesy commentary by the techs would suggest both bias and lack of tranparency.

From the application science side.
1- Does it really make sense to only have one axle in? I would be more curious to see how things explode when torque is being applied to both sides of the cases. If you are applying that kind of torque to one axle shaft in a wheeling application that tire is REALLY REALLY bound. Which leads to the next questions. What are your other three tires doing and Why are you still hiting the gas?

2- Without application information my first question is it possible for the parts in question to be able generate that kind of torque. It kind of like saying these tires are bad because they can't hold up at 350 mph when they have a speed rating of 98 mph.

Yes you hope that your axle/u joint/hub will fail before your locker but if ARB wasnt nervous ZIP the video would haven't been produced the way they did it.

More transparency/less bias would have achieved the same result of customer education without the resulting speculation.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm running a Spartan locker right now, I through it in last year for a trip to Moab. That thing is so noisy I'm having a hard time dealing with it. When I pulled out the spider gears one of them was broken, so there is really no going back to open dif.

Out of curiosity, what size tires?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I am not sure what bugs me more. Bad marketing or bad application science.

I don't run ARB or zip lockers so this is just a general observation.

From the marketing side,
1- a head to head test should be non biased and transparent as possible. So not telling which vehicle application is being used and the cheesy commentary by the techs would suggest both bias and lack of tranparency.

From the application science side.
1- Does it really make sense to only have one axle in? I would be more curious to see how things explode when torque is being applied to both sides of the cases. If you are applying that kind of torque to one axle shaft in a wheeling application that tire is REALLY REALLY bound. Which leads to the next questions. What are your other three tires doing and Why are you still hiting the gas?

2- Without application information my first question is it possible for the parts in question to be able generate that kind of torque. It kind of like saying these tires are bad because they can't hold up at 350 mph when they have a speed rating of 98 mph.

Yes you hope that your axle/u joint/hub will fail before your locker but if ARB wasnt nervous ZIP the video would haven't been produced the way they did it.

More transparency/less bias would have achieved the same result of customer education without the resulting speculation.

I think your reading into this too far. This is simply a destruction test. I don't think it was ever indented to represent a real world situation. Like you said, I don't think a driver would ever put that much torque on one wheel before backing out or adjusting the situation in one way or another.
I think this video should just be taken at face value. It simply shows that under that test the arb was stronger. Nothing else.

Now that test my not be relevant to most people. If you cant generate 6000 lbs of torque to one differential it wouldn't matter what locker you would have used.

I'd like to see a video where they name part numbers and then do the test on a few of the different, popular axles, like the dana series to see if the arb beats it across the board.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
That video was posted on youtube about a year before the Zip Locker was even available to the public.... needless to say changes were made in processes and material choices.

Plus every body knows with an ARB your ring gear bolts are going fall out unless you safety wire them.