Are 1/2 ton 10 bolt calipers the same as 3/4 ton Dana 44 caliper?

Tallz

I am currently working on building my rear axle for my jeep project. After looking into doing a disc brake conversion on my 14 bolt, I figure it is well worth the money(not much $ really). The disc conversions say to use the 3/4 ton Chevy front caliper and rotors. I have a spare 1/2 ton 10 bolt and the calipers look similar to the 3/4 ton Chevy Dana 44 calipers. I know I cant use the rotors as they are 6 lug, but are the calipers enough alike to use on my conversion? I can look at them all day, but I was hoping one of you would know more.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
I'm not an expert on the subject, but I know when I replaced the calipers on my 3/4ton 10bolt, I needed new brake line, thought I could just take one of the extra D44 I had since they looked the same, but it was a different sized fitting for the brake line, besides that I don't know.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
They should be the same... as long as you are talking Chevy axles... if the 44 is a Ford, they will be different.

LT.

For some reason I also think that they are different. The reason is because some 3/4 ton Chevys will not take a 15" wheel. While all 1/2 tons will. I also ran into the brake line problem as well. They did not use the same part number.

LT.

Meat_

Banned
Same bolts, same calipers.
And they are nice enough to not have the brakelines on the axle so you don't even have to bleed anything when you swap a 6 lug for an 8 lug

Meat_

Banned
:)

The D60 caliper looks the same (in the right years) but is much bigger.... however I think the bolts are still the same.

Oh and you have a bigger backing plate to accommodate the bigger rotor, which is why the 15" wheels won't fit LT :D