Are my tires still ok?

outdores

I am curious if you all think the tires on my daily driver are still ok? I have two half inch cuts in the sides walls and a chunk about the size of a quarter and maybe a quarter inch deep came out today while i was doing forest lake. They are mud terrains that came with the truck. I'm guessing they are about 5 years old and a little bit dry rotted. I tried to attach a photo but could not get it to work.

I think I need to replace them but figured it was worth seeing if you all thought they might be alright. What are your thoughts?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Are the cords or belts inside the tire cut? If they are, I'd be concerned for sure. If they (cords/belts) are visible through the new gouges but not cut, I'd still look at replacing them ASAP - especially if the tires are old and rotting...

Tonkaman

Gosh I'm suprised that anything up forest lake could have done that kind of damage. My guess is your tires are just going to fall apart from old age. The fact that they are old will make any cut or chunk far worse than on a newer tire.

Typically I'd look to see if there is a bulge at the cuts, if so then replace it. Does it lose air? If it is then they need replaced since you don't want to plug the sidewall especially on an old dry tire.