Area's to see around Pagosa Springs CO in a car?

Brad J

We're using family members timeshare points next week and staying in Pagosa Springs CO. The last time I was in CO I was my kids age. That's the main reason for going. Las Vegas scares me and we went to Yellowstone a few months ago. It came down to Lake Tahoe or 1 of 3 cities in CO. I loved Paul R's thread http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=58353 and its got my kids very excited to go see Mesa Verda We are also planning on seeing four corners one of the days. We will be in my wife's car so we need to stay on paved roads so his scenic tour is out:( Any other citys, towns, parks, restaurants, lakes, museums, hotdog stands........ to see while we are down there?

Thanks, Brad

Yeah, watch for a "loved" early Bronco. It was yellow once. :D

Yeah, she stays tucked into the garage, wouldn't want just anyone viewing her beautiful self! :rofl:

Wow, coming to Pagosa huh? Well, you could see/meet the Bronco Family if at all interested. We are mostly harmless. :) I guess the first order of business is how long you'll be here for. My list for to do's would be:

The Springs
A drive up Wolf Creek Pass
A drive up Piedra road, which we live right off of.....:greg:
Then a hike up to Piedra Falls

Brad J

Yeah, she stays tucked into the garage, wouldn't want just anyone viewing her beautiful self! :rofl:

Wow, coming to Pagosa huh? Well, you could see/meet the Bronco Family if at all interested. We are mostly harmless. :) I guess the first order of business is how long you'll be here for. My list for to do's would be:

The Springs
A drive up Wolf Creek Pass
A drive up Piedra road, which we live right off of.....:greg:
Then a hike up to Piedra Falls

We will be down there Monday night (9/29) thru Thursday morning (10/2). It would be nice to meet w/ ya'll & see Lemon Joy & behold all of her beauty. My sister was in Pagosa for a couple days and mentioned the springs but I didn't get any details on where it is. We are trying to keep things on the cheap side so those are great ideas.
Thanks, Brad

tisjeep

Mesa Verde Is definately worth seeing and spending a long day to see it all. I grew up in Cortez and it still fascinates me. But I honestly cant say that I have ever actually been to the four corners. Been there all my life and never been. But it is the only place in The United States that you can be in 4 states all at once. If I were home I would have been more than happy to show you around Cortez too. Hovenweep National Monument is also a good one to check out.

We will be down there Monday night (9/29) thru Thursday morning (10/2). It would be nice to meet w/ ya'll & see Lemon Joy & behold all of her beauty. My sister was in Pagosa for a couple days and mentioned the springs but I didn't get any details on where it is. We are trying to keep things on the cheap side so those are great ideas.
Thanks, Brad

Well, The Springs are great, a little pricey, but well worth it especially if you go at night. They are natural hot springs and you'll smell horrific when you get out, but they are a party! :) Google mineral hot springs in Pagosa and their website should pop up.

When do you plan on rolling into town on Monday? Maybe we can do dinner one night???

Brad J

Mesa Verde Is definately worth seeing and spending a long day to see it all. I grew up in Cortez and it still fascinates me. But I honestly cant say that I have ever actually been to the four corners. Been there all my life and never been. But it is the only place in The United States that you can be in 4 states all at once. If I were home I would have been more than happy to show you around Cortez too. Hovenweep National Monument is also a good one to check out.

Hovenweep looks very cool. I don't think I've ever been there or Canyons of the Ancients. Would there be sufficent time to see all 3 in one long day? Or see Mesa Verda one day and the other two the next? Then drive through Telluride on the way back home on Thursday? Hiking Piedra Falls one of the mornings?

Well, The Springs are great, a little pricey, but well worth it especially if you go at night. They are natural hot springs and you'll smell horrific when you get out, but they are a party! :) Google mineral hot springs in Pagosa and their website should pop up.

When do you plan on rolling into town on Monday? Maybe we can do dinner one night???

We actually just went to Lava Hot Spring (Idaho) a month ago and so we might pass on the hot springs. We usually end up forgetting important things when leaving on vacations and have to return home a couple times:( So I'm hoping we do better this go around. My wife & kids don't travel too well so I'm sure we'll be making lots of pitstops. We may not make it into town till late Monday night & they might be worn out but which ever night will work out best for ya'll:handlebars:

Last edited:

tisjeep

Ya there is definately time to do both if you dont mind starting early and getting back late. If you look a little closer there is a Sub unit of Hovenweep which doesnt have the standing structures like the main one and if you need directions to get them I can give you almost the exact address. This one is nice though because it is the single largest pueblo known dwarfs anything at mesa verde. Also I don't know if they are still out there this late in the year seeing as how I havent really been home since May but Crow Canyon Archealogical Center is digging the site so you could probably get one of them to talk to you a little bit. Then from there it is another mile and a half drive to Canyon of the ancients or more specifically Sand Canyon. Also another good place to see ruins. I actually wish now that I was going to be home give you the guided tour around that part. I would recomend taking two days to see it all though just because you would get a better chance to take it all in and just say wow it kind of gives you the feeling I imagine you would get from exploring Castles.

Hovenweep looks very cool. I don't think I've ever been there or Canyons of the Ancients. Would there be sufficent time to see all 3 in one long day? Or see Mesa Verda one day and the other two the next? Then drive through Telluride on the way back home on Thursday? Hiking Piedra Falls one of the mornings?

We actually just went to Lava Hot Spring (Idaho) a month ago and so we might pass on the hot springs. We usually end up forgetting important things when leaving on vacations and have to return home a couple times:( So I'm hoping we do better this go around. My wife & kids don't travel too well so I'm sure we'll be making lots of pitstops. We may not make it into town till late Monday night & they might be worn out but which ever night will work out best for ya'll:handlebars:

How old are your kids? It takes about 2 hours to get to Mesa Verde and it's a lot to do in a day. There's quite a bit of walking, so depending on their ages, it may be pretty optimistic trying to do more than that in one day. The drive up Piedra and the hike to the falls won't take a ton of time. It's about 45 minutes from our house and the hike is barely a 1/4 of a mile. Depending on when you do that, the kids and I may want to tag along. It is a dirt road, but well maintained so a car will have absolutely no problems getting up there. As far as dinner goes, let's shoot for Tuesday night. :tara:

I'm so excited someone is coming for a visit! Make sure you tell everyone how GREAT Pagosa is so more people will want to come visit! :greg:

Brad J

Ya there is definately time to do both if you dont mind starting early and getting back late. If you look a little closer there is a Sub unit of Hovenweep which doesnt have the standing structures like the main one and if you need directions to get them I can give you almost the exact address. This one is nice though because it is the single largest pueblo known dwarfs anything at mesa verde. Also I don't know if they are still out there this late in the year seeing as how I havent really been home since May but Crow Canyon Archealogical Center is digging the site so you could probably get one of them to talk to you a little bit. Then from there it is another mile and a half drive to Canyon of the ancients or more specifically Sand Canyon. Also another good place to see ruins. I actually wish now that I was going to be home give you the guided tour around that part. I would recomend taking two days to see it all though just because you would get a better chance to take it all in and just say wow it kind of gives you the feeling I imagine you would get from exploring Castles.

An address would be great. I'm going to try to borrow a nice GPS to help us find our way around. It sounds like a very nice place to visit. My co-worker said he was more impressed w/ Hovenweep than w/ Mesa Verda. I'm starting to realize that we are not going to be down there long enough to see everything in one trip now:sick:

How old are your kids?
Cory will be 10 in a couple weeks and Brittany will turn 8 in December.

It takes about 2 hours to get to Mesa Verde and it's a lot to do in a day. There's quite a bit of walking, so depending on their ages, it may be pretty optimistic trying to do more than that in one day.
My kids love to take walks and like to wear out their Grandpa & 16 year old dog every chance they can:rofl:

The drive up Piedra and the hike to the falls won't take a ton of time. It's about 45 minutes from our house and the hike is barely a 1/4 of a mile. Depending on when you do that, the kids and I may want to tag along. It is a dirt road, but well maintained so a car will have absolutely no problems getting up there. As far as dinner goes, let's shoot for Tuesday night. :tara:
That sounds like fun. Would Tues afternoon work for seeing the falls and dinner after? We are thinking about going to Chimney rock Tues. morning since thats the last day its open for the season? Is it worth seeing??

I'm so excited someone is coming for a visit! Make sure you tell everyone how GREAT Pagosa is so more people will want to come visit! :greg:
Deal:D

tisjeep

The address is
17250 CR. P
Cortez, CO

This is the Address for the smaller Unit actually it is my address but seeing as how the property is on the West border of the Park it works out good. I just did a mapquest search and it was pretty General from Woods Cross a good way to get mixed up as the road makes several jogs that could really easily get you turned around. I live there So I didnt figure as much time in as I should have it would be way better to take two days. And do it. Now if you want directions to The big Hovenweep I will have to give you different Directions. I could drive there but I couldnt for the life of me tell you which roads to take. Now the address I gave you is Approx. 1/4 of a mile from the entrance.