Atlas and Gazetteer - how much has changed?

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
So I'm planning a trip west (from my current home in SC). My goal, once I get to Albuquerque is to start going overland. I'm taking my Quigley converted 4x4 Ford Transit camper van, so I'm not looking to get hardcore off road, but I do want to be able to get in the back-country and away from the pavement. This is my van from this weekend's camping:
IMG_4593.JPG

I'm looking at purchasing these type maps for New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah and Colorado. If I go to the Garmin / Delorme website, they are $25 each. From the publisher, they are 2017ish (2015 - 2019) editions.

However, I can go to other sites and get the 1998(ish) editions for as little as $5 used or $12 new. So less than half price for the older editions.

What do you think? Is the 2017 edition of a given map really going to show more backroads than the 1998 edition? The question is probably more about what the map shows than which roads are actually out there. I'm betting that there aren't too many new roads in the last 20 years.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
I think you will find the older maps show more roads than the current maps. Lots of road closures in the west over the last couple decades. If you are sticking to semi improved county roads the old version is probably worthwhile.

We run the Gambler 500 events using a free mobile app called OsmAnd. You can download the maps for when you dont have service and track progress through GPS. So far it hasn't really let me down. We do still carry a paper copy of the gazetteer

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I think you will find the older maps show more roads than the current maps. Lots of road closures in the west over the last couple decades. If you are sticking to semi improved county roads the old version is probably worthwhile.

We run the Gambler 500 events using a free mobile app called OsmAnd. You can download the maps for when you dont have service and track progress through GPS. So far it hasn't really let me down. We do still carry a paper copy of the gazetteer
Thanks, Great information!!