Atlas II Time

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
ok. i gotta get this ordered now. i figure the 4.3 should do it but i got a few q's.
1) can i do this myself with a trunk full of tools?
2) what would shops charge for the install?
3) what would be a good shop in SLC?
4) how long would it take me/a shop?
5) is the HD 32 spline needed for my setup?

details: 2001 TJ, stock t-case skid, 4.5" RE, 1" BL+MML, NV3550, broken NP231, 35s.

fire away, thanks

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Remember to allow at least 3 weeks to actually get the Atlas this time of year... they are ~2 weeks on building an Atlas, and allow up to a week for shipping. Hope that helps ;)

WJL

If you have done the "details" to your jeep with you and friends should not be a problem.
Old x-fer case light easy to remove.
If not changing skid plate no monkeying with mounts (did mine with flat skid)
Determine what rotation/clocking you want Insert studs in ring with loc tite slid onto trans.
Bolt up and measure for new driveshaft lengths (longer in rear and shorter ft)
Hardest part I thaught is the shifter to get it to work properly. ie shift smooth, not hit body, fit in stock place) get friend to help with this saves tons of time.

Not that difficult, Just common wrenches and torque wrench nothing uncommon.
At the time I baught mine they did not offer the HD output. Can not hurt.
I think you could do it in a weekend or less (sound mech inclined) With some luck mabey (lots of luck) the drive shafts will work)????
Shops, I have no idea what install would cost, Driveshafts are more the money factor than install (just my opinion). If you can install a lift or take appart a axle you can do this.

Have fun and good luck :)

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Brad Yates said:
thanks. good info. looks like i can do it myself. anyone not get the HD upgrade and wish they had?

Out of all the Atlas's I have sold, I have never ordered a non-HD setup.. for the few extra bucks, it is absolutely the way to go IMHO.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Go with the HD. ;) Be sure to ask them if they have any specials going on too. That's how I got my free HD upgrade and free shipping. :D

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I got the 32 spline front on mine. It's a pretty easy install. You may need to "clearance" the body a bit if you don't have a body lift. Which pinion yokes are you going to get?

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
i'll just be going with the 1310 yokes. i have tom woods drivelines front and rear which i'll need to get shortened and lengthened. just to confirm it's the CV 1310 i need to order right?

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
yeah i've got tom woods CV shafts front and rear.

cruiser - i've checked with 4 distributors and the lowest is $2340 for everything. got anything better?

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Brad, if you don't have any friends to help, catch me on a weekend and I could swing a few hours. Got the OBA for air tools if you haven't got yours working yet, too. Let me know.

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
devin, that'd be cool if you could help. i'll either be devoting the first weekend of january or new years weekend to it.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Brad Yates said:
devin, that'd be cool if you could help. i'll either be devoting the first weekend of january or new years weekend to it.
Um, isn't that the same weekend? :confused: :p

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Brad Yates said:

Let me know. That'd be good for me, I won't be in school.