Attic exhaust fan???

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I recently added AC to my garage and as I was in the attic I hung a thermometer and it quickly jumped up to 130 degrees.

Has anyone here added an attic exhaust fan and did you see the results you were looking for?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
FIL has a solar-powered one. Honestly extra attic vents on the roof could really help too.

Pike2350

We had an attic exhaust fan put in 2 years ago. We also have a crappy 2/12 so the heat is trapped a bit closer to the interior. I feel it helped quite a bit. Our equal pay for power has decreased the last 2 years. It was around $150 2 years ago. Then $121 last year and is now dropping to $105. So I think it is helping.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Big trend I've seen lately when replacing shingles is the ridge cap vents. I'm looking at replacing our roof this fall or first thing next spring and will be talking with some buddies that do roofing and HVAC to try and get the best result.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Big trend I've seen lately when replacing shingles is the ridge cap vents. I'm looking at replacing our roof this fall or first thing next spring and will be talking with some buddies that do roofing and HVAC to try and get the best result.

My roof has ridge cap vents probably 8 of them spread out but it’s still hot as shot in there.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
As long as you have roof top vents and soffit vents a powered ventilator (the fancy name for attic fan) will help lower temps and lessen the broiler effect.

The drawback to the fans especially the higher CFM units is that they can draw conditioned air from the living space via recessed lights or any other penetrations. So the temps are for sure lower after install but it comes from the use of conditioned air.

Our home does not have soffit vents, only turtle vents so I disconnected the attic fan and use the existing opening as additional attic venting while using the whole house fan.

If I ever install soffit vents I'll totally re-activate the powered ventilator.