attn: runners!!

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
help please.

i was invited to be a part of a 5 man 50 mile relay in march. i dont think they thought i would say yes. but i did. i dont know why. but i think its something i need to do. the relay will be divided into 10, 5 mile legs. of those i will be responsible for 2, not consecutive.

http://www.sgcity.org/recreation/races/details.php?id=122

i am not a runner. i dont even own shoes i could run in. i played around on the treadmill for about 6 months, running about an hour every other day or so. that is the extent of my running experience. since then i have lost about 40 pounds +/_. i feel this race will be a good experience for me, and that it may encourage me to stay active and healthy.

i need some advice.
how does one find a good running shoe?
how do i prepare my self for something like this?
i am really looking forward to this, but i have no clue where to start.

Last edited:

Chevycrew

What terrain is the relay on? You will need to train differently for up and down then on flat ground.

Im not a big runner, thats about all i can help.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Go to a real running store and fork up the $ for decent shoes. They'll make sure they fit correctly and give you some advice on starting up

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
from Gunlock Reservoir to Sand Hollow Reservoir. The running route will take runners through scenic landscapes of Southern Utah along city trail systems and back roads.

i told them i would run 2 flat legs. somebody else can do the last bit up to sand hallow res.:rofl:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Go to Salt Lake Running Company. Wear comfortable clothes and be prepared to run on their treadmill for a bit, as well as outside. They'll put you in a neutral shoe, video your stride, analyze it and tell you what they see. They'll recommend a type of shoe, and bring out examples from several different brands. You'll try them all on, and probably run up and down the sidewalk in each shoe. Once you find one that's comfortable (nearly always Asics for me), you'll run on the treadmill again and they'll show you how your stride has changed.

After that they'll try to sell you new insoles for the shoes you already like, and has already fixed whatever your stride was lacking. Unless you can't find something you like, skip the insoles.

As for training, 5 miles is pretty easy. Running 3 to 5 times a week will be good enough to get you ready for it. If it were me, I would run 4 miles 3 times a week, 7 or 8 miles once, and 10 or 12 miles once. Work up to the long runs over the course of a couple months. Most of your runs should be comfortably slow. Slower than you'll want to go at first. You should be able to hold a conversation while running most runs. Eventually you can add in tempo and other faster runs, but keep it slow for quite a while.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Run until you hurt, then do it some more and keep adding distance. How long is your leg of the deal? I don't want to assume 10mi.

This is a good way to injure yourself and not be able to walk when it comes to the day of your race.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
This is a good way to injure yourself and not be able to walk when it comes to the day of your race.

There's so much I left out there. :sick:

Jeremy will be starting from basically "not running..at all." So pretty much any run is gonna suck at first. I didn't mean to go on some Ultimate Death Race every time out... just to push through that ugly feeling of wanting to stop. Your post is better. :D

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
I bought some cheap LA Gear running shoes at Big 5 that have been awesome so far, more expensive doesn't always mean better. I also use www.runkeeper.com to keep track of my running, it helps to keep me motivated to stay with it.

brokejeep

invest in some anti-chaffing cream. I ran a half marathon and wish I would have my taint was sore...

As far as shoes go I am cheap I went to the running store got there advice then went to park city and made my purchase at the outlets. I ended up in a pair of pearl izumi shoes the upper is seamless and very comfortable. Its a good time to buy because last years left overs are selling cheap to make room for the new colors. drink alot of water....

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Your post is better. :D

Agreed. :greg:

I bought some cheap LA Gear running shoes at Big 5 that have been awesome so far, more expensive doesn't always mean better. I also use www.runkeeper.com to keep track of my running, it helps to keep me motivated to stay with it.

Nope, more expensive isn't always better. There's actually a great deal of debate on whether running shoes are even better than no shoes at all. I've been nearly tempted many times to buy minimalist "barefoot" shoes like Vibram Five Fingers. For now I'm slightly on the "running shoes are better than no shoes at all" side of the fence.

Assuming you're going to go the "wearing shoes" route, you should make sure you're wearing the right type of shoe. In my case my first running shoes were sporting-goods store "cushioned" shoes. I thought cushioned would be better if I'm concerned about joint health... It turns out, I'm an over-pronator and neutral cushioned shoes are exactly the wrong thing I need to be wearing. I went and had my gait analyzed (for free, so there's no excuse not to!), and I've been much happier with my shoes since then. I've been through several pairs of Asics Gel Kayanos since then. I buy previous-year models at DSW, most often.

You may find that inexpensive shoes work great for you, but it's worth finding out, since you're extremely unlikely to continue your running habit if it leads you to being uncomfortable or injured.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I've been nearly tempted many times to buy minimalist "barefoot" shoes like Vibram Five Fingers. For now I'm slightly on the "running shoes are better than no shoes at all" side of the fence.

Probably a discussion for another thread, but I've been slowly transitioning to my VFFs (last 5 minutes of the run in my classics). I've had KSO treks for about a year, and classics for a few months. I love the minimalist feel as an all around shoe (actually wore them judging WEROCK and they were awesome on the concrete course@MMP).

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Probably a discussion for another thread, but I've been slowly transitioning to my VFFs (last 5 minutes of the run in my classics). I've had KSO treks for about a year, and classics for a few months. I love the minimalist feel as an all around shoe (actually wore them judging WEROCK and they were awesome on the concrete course@MMP).

Any problems with blisters? The thing that's kept me from buying them is they look like I'd slide around a bit in them, and without socks, that can only lead to blisters. :-\

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
5 miles is no big deal. As was mentioned earlier, go to SL Running company and get some decent shoes. If you have access to a treadmill, use it until it's nice enough out to run outside. Running outside and running on a treadmill are different, so don't assume that because you can run for 30 minutes at x speed on a treadmill that you will be able to do that on the ground right away.

Personally, I think the distances Braden listed are overkill to train for 2, 5 mile runs over the course of a few hours.

I would start by running. Easy enough. Slow your pace down until you can sustain it for some time. As you run more, your pace will naturally quicken. Go run around liberty--the sidewalk is 1.4 miles per lap. Go do two laps. If you can run the entire time, then good, if not then work up to it and then start adding distance. I think you'll be surprised how quickly you can go from being able to only run 1 lap, to being able to run 2, 3, or 4.

Personally, I would shoot for 2-3 shorter runs per week and one longer one. Start with something you can manage, and work up from there. I have IT band issues, so I'm not much of a long distance runner, but when I do 10k's (6.2 miles) I'll usually run 3-4 miles 2x's per week, and 5-6 miles once. If I do much more my knee shuts me down...and it's been a couple of years since I've trained just for a foot race. (My knee has been doing better, so I may try to push the distances up in an attempt to run a half iron in the next year)

Also, proper recovery is key (physical and nutritional). The triathlon coaches I've talked to recommend NOT running every day. They say that any time you train the same discipline ever day, or 5-6 days per week, your body just plateaus and you don't recover enough between runs to build any new endurance. Obviously there are people that can and do, but most people don't.

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Personally, I would shoot for 2-3 shorter runs per week and one longer one. Start with something you can manage, and work up from there. I have IT band issues, so I'm not much of a long distance runner, but when I do 10k's (6.2 miles) I'll usually run 3-4 miles 2x's per week, and 5-6 miles once. If I do much more my knee shuts me down...and it's been a couple of years since I've trained just for a foot race. (My knee has been doing better, so I may try to push the distances up in an attempt to run a half iron in the next year)

I'm surprised your IT band keeps bothering you with regular running. Are you stretching it really well? My IT bands tighten up if I don't run/stretch for a while, and they'll hurt when I start again, but once I get them stretched out and loose they don't bother me again, unless I slack off for an extended period of time.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I try to stretch the shit out of it, and that has helped, but I'm hesitant to push it. The last time i had problems was on the Ragnar Relay, and it basically shut me down for almost a month and kept me from running more than 3 miles for even longer. That's just not an option for me.

I'm signed up for the Ragnar again this year so I'm going to see how it goes. I know a lot more about my body, how to train, and what to expect than I did last time I ran that race so I'm hopeful and optimistic. My first leg is 7.4 miles and 1200 vertical on dirt...that will be the longest distance I've run in years.

I also signed up for the MS 100 bike race the following weekend. I'm not totally sure how I'm going to train for a big run race and a big bike race at the same time. I'm probably going to need to go down to the 40 mile distance for the bike race. if everything goes well on those two, then I'm going to jump in and sign up for the Utah half iron in August.

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I try to stretch the shit out of it, and that has helped, but I'm hesitant to push it. The last time i had problems was on the Ragnar Relay, and it basically shut me down for almost a month. That's just not an option for me.

I'm signed up for the Ragnar again this year so I'm going to see how it goes. I know a lot more about my body, how to train, and what to expect than I did last time I ran that race. My first leg is 7.4 miles and 1200 vertical on dirt...that will be the longest distance I've run in years.

I see. Run and stretch regularly and build up to the distance, and I bet you won't have any problems with ITBS. BTDT, I understand your hesitation. It sucks. Going up/down stairs or sitting on the pot is excruciating with ITBS!

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I also signed up for the MS 100 bike race the following weekend. I'm not totally sure how I'm going to train for a big run race and a big bike race at the same time. I'm probably going to need to go down to the 40 mile distance for the bike race. if everything goes well on those two, then I'm going to jump in and sign up for the Utah half iron in August.

That would be 1 mile swim, 50 mile bike, 13.1 mile run? Are you training for the swim?