Audiofreak97 4Runner kind of build thread

audiofreak97

I really need a different user name... but...

Picked up my 01 4runner due to my Tacoma's self destruct. Not sure where it's headed, but I have some ideas.

First off:

Typical 4Runner, just like every other on the road... pretty boring. Future mods will be either Tundra/FJ80 or OME... just like every other lifted 4Runner on the road... some sort of rear bumper, sliders and possible front winch bumper. All coming if/when money becomes available.

1st trip in the dirt to test the traction control to see exactly what it does:

audiofreak97

1st 'mod' was to take the Budbuilt skid off my Tacoma and get it on the 4 runner. It's beat and bent but it's held up and it's earned it's place on the new 4runner:
Test fit:

And painted:

Battle proven... though I don't remember what I hit.

Then took it out, again to make sure the 4 wheel drive lever worked. Didn't do too much due to tires, running boards and lack of time. Learned why the traction control is hated too...

audiofreak97

Next mod, if it isn't a lift, will be sliders... I'm thinking of something like a running board where its more of a step, but able to take a rock and hold the weight of the truck. Any ideas/suggestions?

And sorry for the horribly washed out pictures. The camera on my phone sucks apparently...

sixstringsteve

Next mod, if it isn't a lift, will be sliders... I'm thinking of something like a running board where its more of a step, but able to take a rock and hold the weight of the truck. Any ideas/suggestions?

I think that's a great idea. I can't remember how the running boards attach. Do they attach to the body or to the frame? I wonder if you could plate the bottom of the running boards and run some legs to the frame to have a slider that looks factory.

audiofreak97

6 bolts each to the body. I might cut the sliders off the tacoma and modify them to what I want. But I cant make up my mind on anything... so...

sixstringsteve

I've only done it on one of my rigs, but I wonder if welding a slider directly to the body of a vehicle (like jeeps do) would be sufficient. I'm thinking a piece of 1/4" channel layering up against the body. That would be super tucked-in, and would still protect the vehicle.

audiofreak97

I was reading up on that and the... I can't remember the other mod where you can turn traction control on and off without restarting (Bagel Mod or something). I haven't decided which one would be better.

audiofreak97

I found some running board style sliders by Slee, but it looks like they only make them for the newer Toyota's. Something like those are what I'm looking for... I was thinking maybe some 2x4 or 2x6 square tube and try and make something similar (though not as nice looking). That 1/4 inch channel would be cool low profile though!

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

These are the only 2 pics I have of my 2x3 rectangular tube I welded to the rocker panel of my body (but not the bed). I really liked that setup, but it didn't stick out enough to stand on it.

DSC_0673.jpg

DSC_0689.jpg

Last edited:

audiofreak97

Took a little trip and now I have a new list of wants/needs for future trips.

Decided to head to Moab to get away for a few days. Stopped in Sego for the first night and found that having a bright flash light is nice, but having additional lighting would make things a lot easier. So I'm on the look out for a couple LED flood lights to attach to the roof rack. Slept in the back of the 4runner since I don't have a water proof tent and it was supposed to rain (which it did... a lot).

Sego is a really cool place to explore too:

Drove up to Gemini Bridges and back down to Moab via Shafer Trail and Potash Rd. I had never done Shafer Trail before and I'm glad I did. It was cold and windy in Canyonlands, but near perfect down in the canyon.

Anyways. By the second night I decided that some sort of foam padding is a must for the next trip. Anyone have any suggestions for a cheap roll up padding to toss in the back? I found a thin mattress pad but it wasn't nearly enough to make it more comfortable. Thought about though sleeping platform/storage builds, but I don't know if I really want to commit to something like that for a few times a year that it would actually get used. Though it might be worth looking a little more into...

I don't want to bombard this with a ton of pictures, but if anyone is interested all my pictures are here: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/audiofreak97/library/Sego and Moab

audiofreak97

We made a stop in price to find some ghost towns, but didn't find much of anything. Gosttowns.com is a quick and easy resource but out of date. What are some that are worth stopping at and still accessible?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Check out expeditionutah.com for ghost town research. The database is still coming together, but it's WAY better than ghosttowns.com already.

audiofreak97

Changed jobs and lost my internet time. I've done a couple updates to the 4runner.

I wasn't too sure about doing the Andy mod but after the "snow" we did have I quickly made my mind up.

I didn't want any switch for the mod, I wanted a "trac off" button. It took a bit of searching but I found one. A quick wire snip and a relay later it it was done.
IMG_20150113_153515397_HDR.jpg

I figured while I was under there wiring I would run some power back to the rear seats for some USB chargers. Road trips should be a bit easier not having the my daughters fighting for power.
IMG_20150113_153508180_HDR.jpg

And i picked up a 10 inch light bar to make driving down dirt roads at night a bit nicer
IMG_20150126_171931992_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150124_190802206.jpg

IMG_20150124_190947964.jpg

Still trying to figure out what lift I want and what the next mods I want. I have two 3x3 lights to put somewhere. Either on the roof rack to shine on either side of the truck or getting some brackets and mounting them on the cowl...

audiofreak97

Thanks.

The functioning trac switch is something like the bagel mod right? I was going to do that but I'd need to make the momentary switch an on off switch. Once I figure that out I will be giving it a try.

audiofreak97

Picked up CBI ditch light mounts for my 3x3 lights I've had for a while now. With the grill light and the 3x3 lights driving at night is sweet.
IMG_20150611_185709926_HDR_1.jpg

Also sold the Tacoma so I decided to jump in and lift the 4Runner...
IMG_20150626_201938163_HDR.jpg

Still trying to decide on tires... I've got a good deal on some Kanati Mud Hogs. Heard decent reviews but I'm open to suggestions...