Aussie Locker or Lock Right?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I want a cheap locker for the front of my TJ. The Aussie Locker and the Lock Right are both cheap lunchbox lockers that will work. They're both pretty comparable in price. Which one's better? Why? My TJ is not a hard core rockcrawler. It' just for trails that are too easy to be fun in the buggy, or for trails that I want to drive to, and not tow. Pritchett is probably the hardest trail it'll ever do. It's my daily driver, so whatever I get needs to have pretty good road manners. Ive had ARB, Detroit, Eaton Electric, full spool, and lincoln locker, but never a lunchbox locker of any kind. What do I need to know?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
hammerhead said:
I've used both and they are about identical. Buy whichever one is cheaper. Some say that the Aussie is a bit quieter but I can't tell...
Ever break either one?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
hammerhead said:
Broke a set of pins in a LR after it got out of tolerance and I kept abusing it.

Aussie has only been out a couple times but I'll try... ;)
I wonder if the Aussie Locker is a little higher quality. Does anyone local sell them?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I don't think Aussie sells through vendors (they didn't for awhile). The Aussie is VERY similar to the Lockright, interesting the designer of the LockRight is a suit at Aussie ;)

I would go with the cheapest of the two, whichever that may be... One thing to consider (I am going by memory here), I think the Aussie has a 3yr warranty versus the 2yr LR.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I bought an Aussie for the front of the 4Runner & have previously installed a LR in my old CJ(yrs ago). They look identical as far as I can tell, the Aussie may have a bit more beef in the teeth area, but it's hard to tell w/o a side by side comparison. I'd say if you're going to spend the money, might as well get something that has the better reputation. IMO... :)

That's cool that you're thinking of locking up the TJ. :hickey:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Oh, just to mention how close they are... the pin & spring kits are interchangable (at least in the LC units). Best BANG for the buck :D

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Greg said:
That's cool that you're thinking of locking up the TJ. :hickey:
I want a family wheeler. May be because I officially have a "family" now. We're thinking about going to EJS this year with the TJ. Before I do any real wheeling with it I need to swap the rear axle, regear it (prolly to 4.88), and lock it. I have a line on a TJ dana 44 with an ARB, I'll just need to re-gear it. Then I need to address the front. Will be fun to have a street legal wheeler again. :D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
RockMonkey said:
What about the Detroit EZ locker? Any other cheap lockers I should consider?

Don't go with the EZ. I've had one, and have dealt with another in a friends rig. The gear teeth wear out fast and the pins seem to break more often.

But, these are things that could have been fixed over the past couple years. Still, I'd run a Lockrite over an EZ anyday.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Herzog said:
Don't go with the EZ. I've had one, and have dealt with another in a friends rig. The gear teeth wear out fast and the pins seem to break more often.

But, these are things that could have been fixed over the past couple years. Still, I'd run a Lockrite over an EZ anyday.
Very good to know. The Lock Right, Aussie, and EZ locker are all very comparable in price. So far it seems like the Aussie has the best reputation.

Bart

If you put that in the front of your TJ I'll bet you start driving your truck more often. I ran a LR in the front of Flo a looong time ago. It was great wheeling and not bad on the road, but in parking lots, forgetaboutit. With all the popping and tire screaching, people look at you like you're front end is falling apart.

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
Bart said:
If you put that in the front of your TJ I'll bet you start driving your truck more often. I ran a LR in the front of Flo a looong time ago. It was great wheeling and not bad on the road, but in parking lots, forgetaboutit. With all the popping and tire screaching, people look at you like you're front end is falling apart.

Hubs locked? Unlocked?

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
I have a No-Slip in the rear of my Tacoma and it has been flawless. It's the quiter $300 version of the LockRight. Also bought an Aussie for the front. It's yet to be installed, but the quality is slightly better than the No-Slip. The customer service was great, it shipped fast, and the Aussie guy gave me a $10 discount for being a Pirate 4x4 BB member.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Bart said:
Hmm... That won't do. The 44 rear I'll be getting has an ARB (yeah yeah yeah, I know... :ugh: ) in it. Maybe I will trade it for a dana 30 ARB, and buy an Aussie for the rear.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
RockMonkey said:
Hmm... That won't do. The 44 rear I'll be getting has an ARB (yeah yeah yeah, I know... :ugh: ) in it. Maybe I will trade it for a dana 30 ARB, and buy an Aussie for the rear.
what's so bad about the ARB?