Auto Alarms - Good? Bad?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
So here's the thing... I have never really owned a car with an alarm, not have I ever really thought I needed one, I make a habit of removing everything of value from anything I park outside. Call me ghetto but I still remove the faceplate of my $99 CD player :p The only CD's I leave are the ones on my visor, 10 at the most and they are all burnt CD's worth as much as a blank CDR ;)

But, a freind had his car broken into, he had nothing to take, but the damage they did getting in was nearly $500, not even enough to make a claim on his insurance, but he was out the cash to fix it, plus the time, etc.

My bedroom is 15 secs from my truck... if not less. I would easily hear my alarm going off...

So, is it worth it? Does the flashing red light keep prowlers out? I'm wouldn't want anything that does motion, etc. Just an alarm that activates if someone breaks glass, opens a door, or jimmy's my sliding window...

Guess I might be interested in something similar if the $$$ was right for my Cruiser that is completely empty and blocked in with a trailer 99% of the time.

Thoughts? Good deals?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've never had anything stolen from me when my alarm was armed. I didn't arm it one night, and they got me and on one of my old vehicles I didn't have an alarm the first month and it got hit once.

Deffinately worth it. Thiefs in utah are petty--not professional. They won't mess with a vehicle that is going to be anyhthing but a sure thing.

As for where to get one, I can think of a place.

Cody

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
mbryson said:
Cody's tough to deal with. (BTW, I got a box the other day. Wanna borrow my truck sometime this week?)

I may be leaving town this week, but if I don't go until the weekend I may have time. Otherwise we'll figure out a time for next week.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
way2nosty said:
sounds to me like you just need an LED. resistor and a LED $.39 radio shack

Thought about that... but if I am going to do it, I want to do it for real. ;)

Its like fake beadlocks, or fake carbon fiber... :rolleyes:

Pathos

I've been thinking about something like This. It won't keep the fskers out but it will give you proof of who the lil shiats are.

Mr.Chevy

My friend and I installed a nice viper alarm and it worked for him. If you get one don't go cheap on it, but you don't need the one that cost the most. The one my friend put on had a shock sensor and when ever you even touched the car it would make a warning sound and then if it did the warning sound 3 times it would go off. We hooked it up so all his lights would flash and made it so the alarms siren and the horn of the car would go off. Let me tell you you could hear it going off a block a way :D

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
I don't even bother to lock mine. If they want it, car alarm or not, they are going to get it. I leave all my CD's in there, but like you said they are all burned .. I never use an original in the car. I have a 12 CD changer that is easy access and remove. I leave my laptop in there a lot. Never had any troubles and I live in OGDEN! {snicker}

I find car alarms annoying because no one ever responds to them. Anymore the only thing they are good for is finding your car in the parking lot.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Webby said:
... I leave my laptop in there a lot. Never had any troubles and I live in OGDEN! {snicker}

I don't care where you live.. that is dumb.

I find car alarms annoying because no one ever responds to them.

As I mentioned in my first post... I would respond... I don't care what others do. On the same note I don't want one that activates in the wind and pisses off my neighbors.

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
You'd respond .. so your in the very back of Wal-Mart ... you car is in the parking lot ... how you going to hear it to respond? or are you just going to alarm it in your driveway? If that's the case, by the time you wake up to respond they are gone.

As for my laptop I have several and don't keep any important info on them. If it's stolen, so what. I'd rather them open the door and take it then smash my window and take it. Because I'd be more pissed about the window then the laptop.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Webby said:
You'd respond .. so your in the very back of Wal-Mart ... you car is in the parking lot ... how you going to hear it to respond? or are you just going to alarm it in your driveway? If that's the case, by the time you wake up to respond they are gone.

A. I don't shop at Walmart
B. I am not worried about it during the day, more like when it is parked overnight.
C. I am 10 secs. tops from my truck, 5 secs. from seeing my truck if not less... I doubt they would get very far, even if they had a car...

Webby said:
As for my laptop I have several and don't keep any important info on them. If it's stolen, so what. I'd rather them open the door and take it then smash my window and take it. Because I'd be more pissed about the window then the laptop.

Well, if I knew you had tons of $$$ and were giving laptops away... I think its stupid to leave a laptop in your car, regardless of locking the door or not. There is a reason there are so many car theifs/snatch & grabs... they are successful, eliminating the reward will eliminate the crime IMHO...

Mr.Chevy

cruiseroutfit said:
PS, beside stuff getting stolen from inside the truck, I also don't want the truck (or my Cruiser stolen)
There are some alarms that have a starter kill in them. So if the alarm goes off then the car will not start. And they are even coming with remote start. And key less entry. Also if they open the door it will set it off or if you have power locks if they brake the window and push the power lock button on the inside it will set it off. Also if you car is like the Chevy's and your dome light comes on when you pull just pull the handle on the door not opening it that will also set it off.

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
so when do you sleep? No one .. I mean NO ONE can wake up and move that fast :) If you can, then your not getting proper REM sleep. :) Trust me if they want your ride there is nothing you can do to stop them ... slow them down a tad bid or annoy them, but that's about it. Oh ya, you may stop the stupid ones, but a string attached to a bell will do that.

The rewards the car theft is not the reason most of it happens. Being originally from California, you see over and over. Many times it's just gang games.

I'm not rich, just know where to shop. Laptops cost WAY less then a door window for a Cherokee. :) And I'm very happy to hear you don't shop at Wal-Mart, IMHO I think they will be the downfall to the American economic system.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Webby said:
I don't even bother to lock mine. If they want it, car alarm or not, they are going to get it. I leave all my CD's in there, but like you said they are all burned .. I never use an original in the car. I have a 12 CD changer that is easy access and remove. I leave my laptop in there a lot. Never had any troubles and I live in OGDEN! {snicker}
hey dummy, can I have your address??