Auto tranny options-Jeep cj

Green-Tonka-CJ5

BEE-DUHB
So throwing around some options in my head. Wondering if its worth the effort and time. But my leg is getting tired of my manual linkage and shifting so here it goes.

I have a 80 cj5, T5 tranny swap, lifted 4" suspension etc.

Found out the stock auto that came in some cj's was a chrysler 999. Also that a common swap is a th350 something or other. Sorry its late......

Wondering on ratios. Looks like the 3 speed stock tranny top ratio is a 1:1 and the t5 was around a 1: .75. So i would be losing top end speed and even low end ratio as well? is there a good solution to my situation?

And also length of the transmission, im assuming would be longer than the manual causing issues with driveshaft trimming. Remembering its a cj5 so its pretty short already.

Another direction would be a hydraulic clutch possibly? Any info/links on conversions? Thanks

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I think the stock CJ auto is the 904 unless it was a late '70s CJ with a V8, which would have had a AMC version of the TH400. 998s and 999s didn't come around until the Wranglers.

Yes, you'd lose an overdrive gear, since the 3-speed autos are all 1:1 final drive ratio. It would be the same as driving your CJ as-is with 4th gear as your final drive gear.

As far as the lower gears, yes, the ratio is different, but your torque converter in the automatic makes up for any difference, so it makes the automatic first gear feel just as low as your manual.

Also, with a stock wheelbase, an auto trans is gonna be a squeeze in a CJ5. Your rear driveshaft may end up being too short to be functional. IIRC, I don't think 5s ever came with an auto for that exact reason.

For a hydro clutch setup, Early 80s (80-83 I think...) CJ5s with the 4-cylinders (but only the 4-cylinders) all came with factory hydraulic clutches, so I'd think those parts would be the easiest to swap into what you have now.

Green-Tonka-CJ5

BEE-DUHB
Alright i did some research, thinking i will start from the basic replace the exsisting system with new parts, then see if its better. There are kits for like 70 bucks with all the linkage. IF it still sucks i will go towards a hydro set up. Thanks for the info buddy!