auto trans fading

Dixon

I went wheeling last night in the sami and towards the end of the trip I lost reverse. Its a th 350 auto out of a 72 nova, never been rebuilt. This morning had to move the rig and reverse was working again. Has new oil in it but not new filter. Its probably just worn out but could it be something like getting to hot (have trans cool). I'm woundering if I should just bit the bullit and rebuilt it or change the filter and ad an oil treatment that renews the material in the bands and get it by till winter and I'll need a project. :confused: :confused:

Attachments

• new sami.jpg
    new sami.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 9

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Toast........

Rebuild it yourself. The TH350 is simple, and the last kit I purchased was like $130. (add converter on top of that)

Thanks to fall, the colder oil in it will make it work for now, but it's days are numbered.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Low oil can cause similar symptoms, but I'll go ahead and assume you already checked that. :)

78mitsu

a lot of times in a HM transmission if it's gets on an angle where the sprag assembly whips the fluid, it foams which can easily cause a no r/1 condition. I'd change fluid and filter and make sure it is just below the full mark and give it another go. Also higher end trans fluids, like the Valvolene ML and the Synblend trans fluid have anti-froth agents that help keep the fluid from frothing.

if you pull the pan and theres heavy deposits or large chunks of band material or metal it's probabbly time for a new one, if there isn't it should still be good. but a cooler and a guage are probabbly good additions.

Dixon

a lot of times in a HM transmission if it's gets on an angle where the sprag assembly whips the fluid, it foams which can easily cause a no r/1 condition. I'd change fluid and filter and make sure it is just below the full mark and give it another go. Also higher end trans fluids, like the Valvolene ML and the Synblend trans fluid have anti-froth agents that help keep the fluid from frothing.

if you pull the pan and theres heavy deposits or large chunks of band material or metal it's probabbly time for a new one, if there isn't it should still be good. but a cooler and a guage are probabbly good additions.

That sounds like good advice, I'm going to change the filter and see what secrets the pan holds. Its possible that the trans cooler is not doing its job as well as it could. The electric fan is only covering about 1/3 of the area of the cooler. I might try a seperate fan just for the trans. Then put the top shelf oil in it.

chadr

I went wheeling last night in the sami and towards the end of the trip I lost reverse. Its a th 350 auto out of a 72 nova, never been rebuilt. This morning had to move the rig and reverse was working again. Has new oil in it but not new filter. Its probably just worn out but could it be something like getting to hot (have trans cool). I'm woundering if I should just bit the bullit and rebuilt it or change the filter and ad an oil treatment that renews the material in the bands and get it by till winter and I'll need a project. :confused: :confused:

Was this a maiden voyage? We need to go again when I am up that direction again and JKS gets his JUNK fixed.

Your Sami looks awesome! :D