Automated Light Rack (Senior Project ME)

Xploderkid97

Hey everyone I am working on my senior project for Mechanical Engineering. My project is to build a mass produced cheap powered light rack mechanism that would allow people to make their adjustable light rack into a powered from inside the cab adjustable light rack. The goal is for it to be cheap and easily installed to existing light racks, whether they be LED or custom racks. Also needs to fit within all worlds. I.e UTV, Rock Crawling, Rock Racing, Desert Racing etc... I need help from those with experience in light racks.

What features would you guys like in one?

What would entice you a to purchase one?

Would you buy one?

Really I just need advice from real life experience of what you would and wouldn't want in one. Please help if you can!

UVRUGBY

the ability to adjust the lights while moving, not having to stop and then adjust from the cab and then continue on.
either a rotating nob, or a sliding lever to adjust the angle of the lights.
and yes.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
12v linear actuator. Adjustable lights are cool.... ESP if you can get enough motion out of them to lay flat(more for a pickup application)

N8RB8R

A couple places are already selling them, but they are not cheap. I would get one from you if the price was way less than all these others because I can't afford to buy theirs.

Attachments

• SFWLightBar3.jpg
    SFWLightBar3.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 34
  • SFWLightBar2.jpg
    SFWLightBar2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 36
  • SFWLightBar1.JPG
    SFWLightBar1.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Like Clemson, I would dig on having the lights lay flat behind an aerodynamic shield and then pop up when I want 'em.

D

Deleted member 12904

First of all I want to say I think this is an awesome project so dont let my words discourage you. Just giving honest feedback.

All cool or good looking light bars are a custom piece built for a vehicle so "needs to fit within all worlds" may be very practical but unfortunately it is most likely going to mean it looks funny on most things and realistically that will equal few sales.

Aside from some light bars the fold due to clearance, street legal or just plain getting them out of the way I truthfully have never needed to re aim my lights on any light bar with the exception of a roll or hard hit and it doesnt happen often enough for me to want to have in cab control. And like posted above a 12v linear actuator does a great job of folding light bars and people willing to spend the time and money to do this do not want a universal utv, rock crawler and whatever else it fits light bar.

Now something I would be interested in is a way to adjust clear lights to amber from in the driver seat. Amber lights work much better in dust and most people that drive dust at night will sacrifice running lights for a few dust lights.

Xploderkid97

Thank you for the good and honest feed back

N8RB8R do you know what ball park price these are going for? Do you have any links or more pics? I like the ones you posted. In the process i get to build a rack for my tj so i am looking to try and make something unique as well.

Deviant- i am always up for honest feedback and i appreciate it. I guess when i mean "needs to fit" i meant i wanted to try and make something that would benefit to those who are doing the custom pieces. More as the mechanics they could purchase to apply to their custom build. I understand that it wont be a direct bolt on to really anything. With that being said the purpose for this post was to find out if this was even something that would be used and apply ideas to what is needed. Things like amber adjustment is what i am looking for because I am far from experienced in everything and this is good feed back.

As far as adjustable for myself I found that as i was approaching hills in our rzr i have had the desire to be able to scan up and down the hill before ascending it. Also I have been in moab and while coming up or down some of the steep grades(hells revenge) being able to look up them or down would be convenient. While not a necessity i found the desire hence why i inquire if others experience the same?

My goal was to either do a linear actuator or maybe even a worm gear and rotating mechanism. Im not solid on design as it is all part of the project, the first stage is this so keep the feed back coming!

rholbrook

I had a remote troll trolling motor bracket that was wireless. That was really cool. I would never put a hole in the roof of a XJ, truck or ????. If it was a UTV or buggy, then a "wired" option would be okay. You need to offer a wireless option. By the way, this trolling motor bracket used the a Ford electric window motor. This may help in the design.

Xploderkid97

Maybe the next question i have is how are most mounting their light bars? Do any of you have pictures of mounting? and light rack systems?

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I have a set (2) of pencil beams mounted forward & 4 of the run of the mill floods, 2 aimed high & 2 out 45 deg. to the side to give a wide spectrum while night driving! :)

But my faves are 2 very cheap side lights that are mounted to my rear rack& aimed toward the front wheel about 20 deg. out!!:D

I think that an array of LED's with a high / low feature could accomplish all of your objectives!!:greg:

That's my $.02 worth.;)