Avon - Mantua area

Yota

I have these gps coordinates from google maps:
41.486559,-111.89395
I was planning on going up to inspiration point and doing some camping up that way, just wondering if anyone knows if these trails between avon and mantua are open/passable/private property? I think it would just be fun to go somewhere i've never been instead of taking sardine canyon.

rholbrook

Which way are you coming in from? Providence? I went through there just last fall. I actually went from N. Ogden Pass up over Willard Peak and then down to Mantua. We filled up in Mantua and then headed back toward Willard Peak and decided to take a road that ended up dumping us out at Avon on the Ogden Valley side. It was really fun but we were on motorcycles and the trail/road had some really fun whoops on it in one section. Where you end up on the main road that heads either toward Avon or down to Ogden Vally, it is fenced off with a gate large enough for Rhinos but I don't think you could get a Jeep in there. Actually, I think it said OHV only on a sign.

As far as ownership, there were signs that basically said to respect the private property when we were on it. We have been thinking about doing the Avon side to Mantua again because it was fun.

Yota

Yeah I'd be coming from Logan. I'd hopefully want to take one of the first right hand (west) turns and head to mantua. It even looks like a some roads intersect with the willard peak road.
If nobody chimes in, I'll just take sardine canyon on the way there, then the next day when I leave I'll try to come down into avon and report back for the few people who explore up here.

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
if you go out to Avon you will come to a hard right i mean hard like a nascar turn then you go down a little hill, if you stay straight it will go into a canyon stay on that road and that will take you to liberty and mantua

Hansgraf

I made a try a couple of weeks ago to do just that. Inspiration point road is now pretty much a car raod. They smoothed it all out. Still a nice drive tho. When I went up the snow was still blocking the road up to the point so I came down and tried to get over to avon. I started on the willard trail here 41°26'50.52"N 111°56'29.79"W. And ended about here 41°25'39.54"N 111°52'48.76"W Where the trail was blocked by to posts just wide enough to fit a rihno through. So, being in my 99 jeep I turned around and headed back. The road was fun with a few rough spots but nothing my jeep could not handle. That was the only try I have made but I have asked around and have not heard of any other possibilities. I have looked this area over on google maps and have not come up with any other possibilities, at least for a jeep.
The Coords that you posted look promising on google earth but I have never been over that way. As far as the camping goes there is a nice spot past the ccc camps and over the ridge on the west side. Have fun!

Last edited: