Awning set up

cackalak

Curious what your awning set ups are and how you like it. Looking at either getting a vehicle-mount awning or free-standing. If I went with a vehicle mount, I would go with an ARB (probably the 2.5M).

Not sure about free standing units. Ones I have used were all pretty cheap and blew over and bent a few bars at any hint of wind. But I'm sure there are quality ones out there. One thing I do like is the cost (usually cheaper) and most I've seen come with mosquito nets, which is nice. (ARB's is another $170 for just the net).

This will be used just a few times during the year, and usually just a weekend outing. I'm leaning towards the free-standing, because I just can't see much advantage with vehicle mount (except ease of set up). Also, sometimes we take our Subaru, which I don't want to mount an awning to (too low).

sixstringsteve

I have an Ez-up and we use it quite a bit (just not camping, it's too big and heavy for my preferences). It comes with stakes to drive it into the ground. Obviously, a vehicle-mounted one will fare much better in the wind.

I've just been using a tarp and ropes lately and they do the trick for me. I use the Kelty Noah's tarp.

cackalak

Thanks for the input. I'll check out the Noah's tarp. Maybe I can fab up a homebrew solution for pretty cheap. Upon searching online just now, came up on this picture:

1001833qa2.jpg

I like the versitility of this set up. I can either have it mounted to the car, free-standing or maybe to a tree.