Axle descriptions

Ken

So I have yet to know the differences between full floating and non floating or whatever axles. Somebody help me out with this jargon, and the usefullness of the axles in different setups. :confused:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Here is kind of a good answer

http://www.cs.odu.edu/~glaves/chris/axle/

The short answer is that a semi-floating shaft has two functions - hold the weight of the vehicle plus turns the wheel. With a full floating axle the shaft turns the wheel, but does not have to carry the weight of the vehicle, so by design it takes less stress.

Caleb

Ken said:
So full floaters will have less breakage...Are all c clips semi float then?

yes, and yes...full floaters compared to a similar semi floater will tend to have less breakage (30 spline FF vs. 30 spline SF)...and yes all c-clip axles are semi float...however, not all semi float are c-clip...the downside to FF is the hubs do add a fair amount of weight...in the future I may end up with a SF 40 spline 9" or something similar rather than the FF60 I have now...

R

rockdog

Supergper said:
yes, and yes...full floaters compared to a similar semi floater will tend to have less breakage (30 spline FF vs. 30 spline SF)...and yes all c-clip axles are semi float...however, not all semi float are c-clip...the downside to FF is the hubs do add a fair amount of weight...in the future I may end up with a SF 40 spline 9" or something similar rather than the FF60 I have now...

Full floaters are heavy. But the weight is close to the ground so it'll keep your new buggy from tip'n over. :rofl: :rofl: