axle questions

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Thats alot of money. My self i figure i'm just going to stick with stock axles and run 33's and if I break then i'll just get another shaft. I can't justify spending $3-4k on axles. All you have to do is run 33's and take it easy not so easy you don't have fun but you don't have to hit somthing balls out. thats when you break. But people have diffrent opinions. Do what you think would be best

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Originally posted by James K
What year(s) FSJ had offset rear 44's?

And does anybody know the width?

i am pretty sure they stopped making the offsets in like 80. but all the quadratrashes had them. i just crawled under my deck to get the measure of the rear and it is about 58-1/4" wms to wms. i can't get to the front, there are spiders and **** down there.

doin what i can to help,
nate

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Originally posted by Portrnrzuk
Thats alot of money. My self i figure i'm just going to stick with stock axles and run 33's and if I break then i'll just get another shaft. I can't justify spending $3-4k on axles. All you have to do is run 33's and take it easy not so easy you don't have fun but you don't have to hit somthing balls out. thats when you break. But people have diffrent opinions. Do what you think would be best

ha thats what i said, about my stock jeep axles. who the hell would want to buy new axles when these ones do the job? then... the inevitable BOOOOOM came out of the rear end and the next day i started researching what axles to get. you can polish that piece of crap zuki axle for as long as you want, but it will never be shiny (so to speak) and people that see your rig won't be like "damn is that a stock axle, that is so cool!"
just givin ya crap man, do what works for you. my sami has held up to some pretty wicked abuse on 31's with stock axles, but the sami is ready to grow with d44's.

samizook

O.k minus a front locker,and with the exception of a lincoln locker in the rear, I was able to put my 44's beneath my zuk and have no problems for under $1,302. Later on i decided to go with high-steering. This was 70.00 for the knuckles to be drilled and tapped, and 130.00 for the steering arms. Then i bought a (spidertrax) e-brake set up for 250.00. Finally after buying new wheels and almost new 35x12.50x15 goodyear mtr's, i am into the whole set-up 2,452.00. tommorow i get a carrier and locker for front for 230.00:) with a little research and digging you can make you own d-lines for under 50.00. Thats all i'm into mine and have had no failure or vibe's at all. P.S. all components are new within the axles except for 1 caliper,shoes and pads and axle shafts.

J

jeff cardall

see thats the thing when i broke when i was at 1/4's house i wasn't going balls out i was hung up alittle and was trying to get out and i broke and it is a pain in the but!if your not getting on it or into the power very much then ur fine.but all it took was just very little steping on the gas and i busted something and i wasnt even beating it.and i have 500 bucks in up grades in my diff that are alittle over 4-5 months old and it broke allready! thats what pisses me off is i gave it some power and snaped stuff.i just want something alittle stronger but really dont want to pay 3-4k in new sh!t.and i know no matter what u have or get u can allways break stuff.but something has got to be better than the tooth pick shafts and birfields that are in ther now?every one says it is do to my HUGE 35's but they really aren't to much bigger than a 33 when we got the sammy it had 33's on it and the wife was backing out of parking stall and snaped rear shaft like it was nothin.hopefully i can get lucky and find some d-44's allready set up with locker and gears for cheap;)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by samizook
O.k minus a front locker,and with the exception of a lincoln locker in the rear, I was able to put my 44's beneath my zuk and have no problems for under $1,302......

Now that's killer! You just have to wait for deals & spend your $$ wisely.

terrymac

Originally posted by samizook
O.k minus a front locker,and with the exception of a lincoln locker in the rear, I was able to put my 44's beneath my zuk and have no problems for under $1,302. Later on i decided to go with high-steering. This was 70.00 for the knuckles to be drilled and tapped, and 130.00 for the steering arms. Then i bought a (spidertrax) e-brake set up for 250.00. Finally after buying new wheels and almost new 35x12.50x15 goodyear mtr's, i am into the whole set-up 2,452.00. tommorow i get a carrier and locker for front for 230.00:) with a little research and digging you can make you own d-lines for under 50.00. Thats all i'm into mine and have had no failure or vibe's at all. P.S. all components are new within the axles except for 1 caliper,shoes and pads and axle shafts.

That adds up to $2,732 Samizook and I'll wager you can weld and fab on your own and were able to make the perches, shock mounts, hangers, etc. to make this swap fly. Jeff has said he can't do that himself so you have to figure how much Von or JR or whoever is going to charge him to make a D44 swap happen, even if he finds the same killer deals on parts that you did. My guess is it would be another $500. With installation you are over $3k.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Originally posted by jeff cardall
see thats the thing when i broke when i was at 1/4's house i wasn't going balls out i was hung up alittle and was trying to get out and i broke and it is a pain in the but!if your not getting on it or into the power very much then ur fine.but all it took was just very little steping on the gas and i busted something and i wasnt even beating it.

The first shaft I broke on mine I was going slow. Just cilmbing through a rock garden. The next was in front wheel drive only in reverse trying to spin the front around and was definitly getin it when that one broke.

I think they break when you least expect it half the time.

Also look at it this way. You can sell off the stuff you pull off to recoup some of the cost.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Jeff what did you break at 1/4's house, your axle or did your 3rd finally die????? I'd buy some of your junk if you deside to swap axles.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Jeff what did you break at 1/4's house, your axle or did your 3rd finally die????? I'd buy some of your junk if you deside to swap axles.

yeah, I thought we figured that nothing was wrong...what ended up being wrong.

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
Originally posted by James K
The first shaft I broke on mine I was going slow. Just cilmbing through a rock garden. The next was in front wheel drive only in reverse trying to spin the front around and was definitly getin it when that one broke.

I think they break when you least expect it half the time.

Also look at it this way. You can sell off the stuff you pull off to recoup some of the cost.

Axles can be funny sometimes, they can be seriously damages, but not fail outright. Spencer's axles drug his junk though lower helderado, and that evening broke turning out of the hotell parking lot. If you look at the splines they have been twisted for quite some time.

My point is when the axle finaly fails dosn't mean it wasn't damaged or sevearly stressed somewhere else beforehand. The only way I can see to catch stressed axles it to pull them regularly and inspect them, not exactly practical. The only other option I can see is to carry spares everywhere you go...

J

jeff cardall

Originally posted by spencurai

yeah, I thought we figured that nothing was wrong...what ended up being wrong.
it is making grinding noises and it pops really loud every once in awhile when turning so i think it is a birf.havent tore it apart yet dont have the spare parts to fix it yet.but somethin is broke:(

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Originally posted by jeff cardall
it is making grinding noises and it pops really loud every once in awhile when turning so i think it is a birf.havent tore it apart yet dont have the spare parts to fix it yet.but somethin is broke:(

Well lets get it tore apart and see. I like tearing stuff apart:D