axle strength

Will3161

Starting this thread to get an idea of axle strengths, both the housing and the internal shafts, as part of the overall package. For example, a Dana 60 is overall stronger than a Dana 44, is stronger than a Dana 30, etc. But, what about Toyota stock axles? The 14 bolt? The Ford 9"? and so forth. I'd like to keep it to a rating of axle strengths as they come stock, and for this to come from peoples experience.

STAG

On my grind
I can't tell you anything about Toyota axles. Spline count is a huge factor for axle shaft strength, so assuming all these axles have the largest spline count possible, the 9" shafts are stronger than a Dana 44, weaker than a D60. But the housing is weak unless you truss it. But it's advantage is it is lightweight. In stock form it's a semi float axle but there are parts to convert it to full float. Also it has a pinion support bearing and a removable pinion housing. And a removable 3rd member.

It's said 14 bolt shafts are nearly as strong as a Dana 70 but it's advantage over the Dana 70 is it has a opinion support bearing and removable pinion support like the 9". It's an 8-lug full float axle but there is a rare semi-float axle out there which is 6 lug. The shafts are 30 Spline from factory but they are a larger coarser spline. But it is heavy (but heavy duty) and it is known for it's differential housing being very low hung and getting hung up on obstacles but lot's of people "shave" the bottom of the housing off and replate it. Some people even shave 1/4" off the ring gear diameter when they shave the housing for more clearance and it's said not to cause any strength issues.

The Dana 60 undoubtedly has the most aftermarket support and is a very strong axle. Available in front and rear applications, go to pirate4x4 and look up the Dana 60 bible in the tech articles. Everything you need to know. I'll post a link when I'm not on my phone.

The Dana 44 is in my opinion not worth the money for any upgrading, if you have a Dana 30 axle and are looking for an upgrade, I say skip the 44 and go straight to the 60. I'll post up more links when I'm on a real computer.

STAG

On my grind
Everything you need to know about the dana 44 as a front axle:

Mr N's D44 Articles

Everything you need to know about the 14 bolt rear axle:

BillaVista 14B bible

Everything you need to know about the Dana 60 axle:

BillaVista D60 bible

BillaVista Kingpin Rebuild

BillaVista HD 60 build - (a look at some of the aftermarket parts many people use to build up the D60

Some stuff about the Dana 70 axle:

BillaVista D70 tech

AxleShaft tech in general..

BillaVista Axleshaft tech

And here are some pics of a smokin, heavily trussed 9"... just cuz I can share :D
IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

And here is a fabricated 9" housing converted to the full-float axles like I said earlier..
BlueTorch Fab SpiderTrax 9"

Last edited:

Chevycrew

I think I read somwhere that the stock toyota 8" rear axle is very similar in strength to a 28 spline ford 9". This is only comparing axle shafts themselves.

sixstringsteve

I wish that I had the link to where I read it, but I read that stock toy inners are a little bit stronger than a D44.

With with cro-mo 30-spline shafts they're as strong as a stock d60.

THe only other things i know about toyota axles is their strength in a practical situation (ie what setups will hold up with a 35" tire, 42" tire, etc.)

EDIT: Chevycrew found the info below.

Last edited:

Chevycrew

I did find this info...

PRODUCT / ................................................. FT.LB. TORQUE/.... % TWIST
Yukon 4340 Dana 60 35 spline short side axle.........12,000 ..................130
Stock Dana 60 35 spline short side axle .................6,500 ....................35
Yukon 4340 Dana 44 30 spline short side axle ..........5,800 ...................35
Stock dana 44 30 spline........................................5,00 0.....................35
Yukon 4340 Birfield Eliminator kit (ear failure)............5,500......................50
Longfield 4340 30 spline (shaft failure)......................8,500............... ......175
Longfield 4340 27 spline........................................6,50 0.....................75
Stock Toyota Birfield.......................................... ..4,200 .....................45
Stock Toyota Inner Axle.......................................5,000 .....................45
All Pro "Profield".................................... .... .......... 3,500 ....................30

STAG

On my grind
The only thing I've heard about toyota axles is their housings bend easily and need trussing like the 9". I have no personal experience with them.

Chevycrew

Basically a built to the nuts toy 8" is still 55" wide, has a 8" ring and pinion, but has shafts as strong as a 60.

A stock 60 has bigger everything, and just as strong, but can still be upgraded...

If you want the same basic strength as a toy axle, but want wider, build a 44.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I did a thread called axle id awhile back it had all the specs on D30,D35, D44 and any other jeep axles as well as toyota axles but if i remember right a toy axle has 30 spline 1.31 inch axle shafts, which is comparable to D44 just a half inch smaller ring gear

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Does anybody have any info on the tacoma rear axles w/out the e'locker, strengthwise? It has a 8.5" ring gear but are the shafts thicker than the 8"

I have one out in my shed, I'll go count the splines tomorrow.

I don't thing the shafts are any stronger between the 2 Toyota axles. I had both apart and don't remember seeing any substantial difference between the shafts, other than the 3rd member itself.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Well this seems like an appropriate thread for me to ask....I'm gonna be picking up another 4runner with the 22re, so I understand the third member on those has less ribs on the outside. I have my current runner with the v6, and it has the reinforced third, so to beef up my weaker one, do I simply switch third members? Or is the entire axle stronger, including the shafts and housing??

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It's just the third member that's slightly stronger in the V6, the housing and shafts are identical.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
oh ok, and on with that, are the gears etc interchangable? I mean could I switch out just the member housing, or do I wanna switch it with gears and all too?

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
you can which gears too their all interchabagle, i have a fj62 third member in my rear axle and a normal 4cyl third in front. The main difference is the V6 third is a 4 pinion carrier like a 14bolt and the 4cyl is a 2 pinion