Axle upgrade for 78 f150

4x4phil

I usually work on jeeps or chevs and now own a 78 f150 shorty. I've been trying to find a 9" third (mine is toast) and am really tempted to try a 60 rear. There are a lot of them around for cheap. My question, If I were to buy a 60 rear from a 77-79 ford would I

A: Be able to bolt it on directly or are the perches and other things gonna be different?

B: Can one convert the d44 front end to 8 lug as easily as the chevs?

4x4phil

Doin good Tacoma! Been a long time. How bout you?
Buckin bronco, thanks for the link. Very informative. I'm definately gonna have to shorten my driveshaft according to the info. But what about the yoke? Do I need to get bigger joints? If I do, is there a yoke that'll fit my transfercase so I can do a double upgrade? I'm thinking so, and I should probably just call 6 states or woody's and ask but maybe one of you guys will know before monday so I'm not wasting anybody's time.

STAG

On my grind
If you want I have a 9" third member just sitting in my garage.. I had it as a spare but I don't have a 9" anymore... I also have a spare set of spider gears for it too that I had when I installed a locker into my other 9"... its just stock.. no locker... stock gears... if you want it its yours for $30...

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
But what about the yoke? Do I need to get bigger joints? If I do, is there a yoke that'll fit my transfercase so I can do a double upgrade?

I have no idea what U-joints you'll be needing for this particular swap, but there are a few adapter U-joints out there made just for this type of situation. I had a 1310/1350 adapter joint once they work great got it at Six States :D

Also with the front 8 lug conversion you should end up with the HUGE Ford rotors and calipers if you get it all from a 78-79 F250. That should help out a ton with larger tires :cool:

4x4phil

Chocflip. Sent you a pm.

I'm stoked about the big brakes.

When i was buying new hubs I noticed that the hubs fit a lot of applications and makes. Do you HAVE to use ford fronts, or can you also use chev or dodge outers as well... provided they're the same bolt pattern and off a 44 or chev 10 bolt? I'd rather keep the make the same so I don't forget what they came off of and stuggle to find parts. But i'm just curious.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Phil - just toss in a new 3rd bud. Simple, done in an hour. No new wheels, no work or money spent on the front end. No driveline mods. 31 spline shafts vs typical 30 spline in a 60. Just as strong of an axle if you find a nodular 3rd... pretty close if you don't. Get a mini-spool for 28 bucks from summit and call it done.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&part=SUM-G7802&N=700+400304+115&autoview=sku

Jared

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Phil - just toss in a new 3rd bud. Simple, done in an hour. No new wheels, no work or money spent on the front end. No driveline mods. 31 spline shafts vs typical 30 spline in a 60. Just as strong of an axle if you find a nodular 3rd... pretty close if you don't. Get a mini-spool for 28 bucks from summit and call it done.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&part=SUM-G7802&N=700+400304+115&autoview=sku

Jared

For once I agree with Jared.

A 60 isn't even an upgrade unless you get new spindles or find one that has been bored out and swap in 35 spline shafts.

I would just get a nodular third member, with a nice daytona pinion support. Maybe throw in some 35 spline shafts and rally it.

Your front will break years before the rear even with alloys.