Jeep Axle work in slc

04whitetj

Hey guys, I just picked up a Ford 8.8 with disc brakes. I'll be replacing my D35 with it.

I figure while its out, I might as well regear and throw a locker in. Problem is, I don't know axles or transmissions and can't weld...which leaves me no choice but to have someone do the work. But where to go?

I need some recommendations on shops (or individuals) that could do this for me. I'll need the mounting brackets for the TJ welded on and the old ones cut off, an ARB air locker and compressor installed, and the front D30 and F8.8 regeared to 4.56's. While everything is out, I also plan on replacing shocks, which I could do but figure...meh...while they're in there....and possibly upgrading the current short arm lift to a long arm.

Thoughts?

flexyfool

GDW
Here are my thoughts: The stock TJ brackets are weak and cutting them off 1 axle and welding them on another axle is a PITA. How about a custom 4-link for the rear. Leave the front as is and do a custom 3 link for the front sometime in the future. Maybe upgrade at that time to a Dana 44.

bamacpl

I'm sure any of the guys on here that you choose to do the work will steer you in the right direction as to meet your expectations----it ain't gonna be cheap!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
The stock TJ brackets are weak and cutting them off 1 axle and welding them on another axle is a PITA.

Which is precisely why companies offer all-new bare bracket kits to weld onto the 8.8 for this exact application. ;)

F64143816.jpg

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I know you have a long arm kit and 35's... can you vouch for that against a short arm? Is it truly worth the cost to upgrade? How much better is the on road ride?

I think the on-road ride is, in a word, fantastic. I am running all TeraFlex suspension hardware--springs, matched shocks, "monster" long arms and even a BellyUp. I ran this same configuration on my 2001 TJ years ago and I loved that Jeep's ride, too. For a dual-purpose rig, I think it's a fabulous setup. Have I run a 4" lift with short arms on a TJ? Nope, never. So you are free to decide how much significance to attach to my opinion.

I have noticed on one specific Wrangler forum that there seems to be a backlash against long arms. Some of the 'experts' there all brag about running 4"-5" lifts on short arms and how it is so much better because of the extra clearance under the rig. While it is true that I have hit my long arms & mounts on rocks, I had also hit my OEM short arms & mounts on rocks, too. I don't see the clearance issue as a drawback, since (a) Tera's arms are a bazillion times stronger than stock arms and (b) Tera's weld-on mounts are likely much beefier than the OEM arm mounts (which I torched and ground off the frame during the long arm conversion).

I know it's spendy, but I felt it was worth the cost twice... and I'd do it again if I had to start over.

Bart

Seriously? I've run long and short arm kits on TJs and would never recommend a short arm kit, especially with a taller lift. The left front wheel lift and the rear axle "walk under" on steep climbs are terrible side effects of short arm lifts, not to mention the diminished road characteristics.

Triangulated 4 link rear suspension that is set up right is fantastic on the road.

I have noticed on one specific Wrangler forum that there seems to be a backlash against long arms. Some of the 'experts' there all brag about running 4"-5" lifts on short arms and how it is so much better because of the extra clearance under the rig. While it is true that I have hit my long arms & mounts on rocks, I had also hit my OEM short arms & mounts on rocks, too. I

Pike2350

I am biased, and honestly don't know what we would charge (I'm back in accounting/purchasing) but Jack-It can do all that. We are direct with most major manufacturers for the parts that would be needed. Again, I have no idea the cost, but you feel free to check. I know we very rarely ever get "comebacks" from our install shop.

04whitetj

Pike, Tyler Mitchell over there worked up a quote for me today. It was substantially higher than I expected it to be. I have a couple other quotes in with some of these other places and we'll see what I come up with.