Axle Wrap bars

Jeremed

I have a 94 YJ, Full width dana 44's, sprung over. I want to build some axle wrap bars out of d.o.m. and heim joints. Wondering what is going to be the best way to mount them to my frame without limiting travel?
thx

notajeep

Just me
You will need a shackle at the frame end to eliminate any binding and allow the axle up and down and back and forth movement that it needs with out any twisting.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i prefer a small shackle with a bushing that the heim mounts to the top of. i've never liked the idea of running the shackle with the heim on the bottom, it just doesn't make sense to me.

you can also build a slip n' twist setup. they're a lot easier to mount and seem to work well if you keep them greased. google it and you'll see a bunch of write-ups, mainly toyota guys.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Shackle up or shackle down works fine, it just depends on where everything needs to mount/fit.

abhaulr1

Bush Eaters
I run my shackle down with my hiem on the bottom. Just make sure if you do it that way you make the shackle straight up and down in the nuetral position. If you want pics i'll post some.
Dwayne

cheepin

Here's a pic of mine not installed. I used bushing at the axle.Cheaper and no reason to have hiems there.And a hiem at the short shackle which is mounted above the crossmember to help keep it up and out of the way.
CJ7build040.jpg

Jeremed

I am thinking of building some that mount on the side of the frame with these mounts called DJ traction bar brackets. I would use a heim at each end with dom. I have seen it done before on a cj7, and it still flexed like crazy. Just wondering if anyone else has used these and what there experience was with them.