B and M Trick Shift?

Ken

Hey fellas, just wondering everyones opinion on tranny fluid, and if anyone has had good experiences with trick shift. Is it all just hype, and advertising. I was thinking of putting it in the cherokee with the AW4 auto tranny.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Ken said:
Hey fellas, just wondering everyones opinion on tranny fluid, and if anyone has had good experiences with trick shift. Is it all just hype, and advertising. I was thinking of putting it in the cherokee with the AW4 auto tranny.

Don't believe the hype.

Tranny fluid is tranny fluid. The only things you can change about it is its viscocity and maybe add some friction modifiers and detergents.

Remember, changing your tranny fluid can actually accelerate certain problems you might be having with seals and clutches. The new detergents and additives can erode seals that are int he process of going bad 10X quicker than they would have.

IF you are looking to increase performance of a trans that is getting old and not grabbing like it used to, new fluid is not going to change a thing.

call Brent Hiatt at Lelis Transmissions in Riverdale, tell him spencer sent ya and ask him about it.

Caleb

yep what spence said, I specifically asked the guys that rebuilt my tranny if any tranny fluid was better than the other, they said nope just run Dexron-III Mercon and it will be as good as anything else...

TooeleBronco

let's go wheelin
additives

I am working on a Mitubishi Eclipse and when I pulled the transmission oil pan off it had black tar looking stuff in it. I took it to a tranny shop to get something else done and they said that was from an additive being added to the fluid. They said that the additives that stop leaks and prolong the life of the tranny are no good. I don't know about the trick shift stuff but after seeing that I'd stay away from anything but the regular tranny fluid.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Ken said:
But Guys.......It says "Pour in performance"!!!!!!! Are you telling me that B and M is lying???? :(

Maybe they spelled it wrong should it be "Poor in performance" :rofl:

olywrestle

Duct Tape
I actually have found an additive that works pretty good to help slipping and stuff like that and prolong the life a little longer (long enough to save up for a new tranny)...but for the life of me i can't think of the name of it!!!!!

Caleb

SnwMnkys said:
Are you saying the Synthetic Tranny fluid is the same as conventional?

no, but I was also told I wouldn't have any additional benefits to running syn. over conventional...

Caleb

Ken said:
What about that lucas stuff that places have.

I used to believe in Lucas products...till I saw a test done with it, it was the worst when it came to friction, it didn't lube at all...it just gummed up in a big blob...

rust bucket

Pool boy in training
Ken said:
What about that lucas stuff that places have.
I put lucas Trans fix in a Chev Caprice that had 170,000mi on the original trans and it help slow down the leaks and helped stop it from shifting so hard.
Im a strong belever in synthetic and from what Ive seen it can help with gas milege and help with getting more HP by lowering the friction levels.

Caleb

rust bucket said:
I put lucas Trans fix in a Chev Caprice that had 170,000mi on the original trans and it help slow down the leaks and helped stop it from shifting so hard.
Im a strong belever in synthetic and from what Ive seen it can help with gas milege and help with getting more HP by lowering the friction levels.

lower friction in an auto means more heat, more heat means a shorter life for the tranny...

SnwMnkys

Supergper said:
no, but I was also told I wouldn't have any additional benefits to running syn. over conventional...

Synthetics dont break down from heat as easily as convertional right? Isnt that a reason to run Synthetic?

Ken

B and M's synthetic tranny fluid is blue!!! WOW!!!! I was just going to use the conventional that they made though. What about motor flushes? Do you guys use them ever with every oil change?

81Ramchargerman

I know that there is an additive my dad uses, probably the best thing i would recommend is a tranny flush, sometimes they can have worse performance if they are older and haven't had one yet. That's what I would recommend if you want less slippage etc.

Bud

'98 ZJ
Ken said:
B and M's synthetic tranny fluid is blue!!! WOW!!!! I was just going to use the conventional that they made though. What about motor flushes? Do you guys use them ever with every oil change?
the reason tranny fluid is red is because of the dye added to it, most oils are clear and the dyes and stuff are added to help identify...