Back Country Firefighting

zukinrail

4x4junkies.com
I'm pretty interested in doing it this summer. Anyone have any experience in it? I went up to the NFS office and all they did was refer me to a job website to find the job. I was just hoping that someone on here would have more info about the job. Hopefully some personal experience.

BronkoRob

ive been trying to get in for the past 4 summers...no luck. if you are just now filling out an app good luck. from what i was told when i started sending them in is that you NEED to get them out by Feb. they base experiance and skills off of red cards, qualification cards,...pretty much, can you use tools and saw in a safe manner and not take off a leg. i got my EMT-basic to get a heads up. it helps a lot so ive been told. the last time i put in i got a few interviews and shown around with the flame-in-gos at the prison than they were shut down. if you are willing to travel to different states it helps your chances since there are all kinds of crews all over the country that can use help.

zukinrail

4x4junkies.com
I guess I didn't realize it was that difficult to get a job with them. I just thought it would be something exciting to do while I'm out of school for the summer. :-\ Maybe i'll just have to figure something else out.

jeepgirl

I done it for two summers. I LOVED it. Its my favorite thing to do. But im not doing it any more. It use to be they were begging people to work. Now every ones getting turned away. I cant even get hired back cuz my name was too far down the computer list. :confused:

zukinrail

4x4junkies.com
jeepgirl said:
I done it for two summers. I LOVED it. Its my favorite thing to do. But im not doing it any more. It use to be they were begging people to work. Now every ones getting turned away. I cant even get hired back cuz my name was too far down the computer list. :confused:

I really wish it wasn't this way right now. I was really hoping for a job that was more exciting than what I have now. Better pay is always a good thing too. :D I'd really like to do it but it doesn't sound like I even have close to a chance. :-\

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I have a buddy that has done it for several years. He loves it, but he's gone all over the western states all summer. I don't think his wife like that too much.