Back fire after adding K&N?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Possibly. I honestly don't know the location on a Jeep! :ugh: But it will be on the intake manifold. It will have a steel tube from it to the exhaust manifold. It could have an electrical sensor on the end of it (which would pull a code if it didn't move when it is supposed to, or moved with it isn't supposed to). It could have more than one vacuum line hooked up to it, one for open and one for close.

Take a picture of what your thinking, and we can say yeah or neah....

oh..the steel tube....uhh:ugh: .....I removed that when I did my exhaust manifold cause it was cracked. Hadn't made a difference that I had noticed though.....

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
last time i checked cherokees didnt have egr valves, they are controlled some other way. tryed to find it in auto one day in highschool and i just didnt exist

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
oh..the steel tube....uhh:ugh: .....I removed that when I did my exhaust manifold cause it was cracked. Hadn't made a difference that I had noticed though.....

It did make a difference ;) Now that the tube isn't there, when the EGR valve opens, it is a nice solid vacuum leak.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I was reading on NAXJA that some people seem to just remove the EGR and block off that that area....is that a big emissions problem or would that be okay?

That's a question for the emission guys... Functionally you would be ok. But legally I would say no, but I honestly don't know for sure. I think you have to keep all of your original smog equpiment in place and in working order to pass a visual inspection.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
it was on a 96 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0 Auto. there was no egr valve, my teacher swore up and down there was until he came and looked at it and couldnt find it, checked on shopkey and it showed now egr valve on the jeep. my 02 TJ doesnt have one either

This was what I was commenting about in your post:

"in highschool and i just didnt exist"

;) ...It seems you must have missed a T...

lilsamiman

Stupid TV, be more funny!
just a thought, check your spark plugs. Perhaps one is craked and the spark is jumping out of the porcilin rather than running down to the electrodes. I have seen it happen before, just like your problem, under load.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
just a thought, check your spark plugs. Perhaps one is craked and the spark is jumping out of the porcilin rather than running down to the electrodes. I have seen it happen before, just like your problem, under load.

Good call... Anything like this. A dist cap that has a lot of carbon build up, or old plug wires that cross each other, or...? Maybe one of your plugs has a really small gap?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Good call... Anything like this. A dist cap that has a lot of carbon build up, or old plug wires that cross each other, or...? Maybe one of your plugs has a really small gap?

It's possible. I gapped them all when I did them, but I suppose I might have knocked one around a bit. I'll check them later. It's probably time to change them out anyway. It's probably been two years since I did the wires, cap, rotor and plugs.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
It's possible. I gapped them all when I did them, but I suppose I might have knocked one around a bit. I'll check them later. It's probably time to change them out anyway. It's probably been two years since I did the wires, cap, rotor and plugs.

Yeah, cuz anywhere you have a smaller gap will jump before the bigger one, especially in a loaded condition. Which could be anything, cap, wires, plugs, etc. And if that arc jumps when it's not supposed to, you have yourself a misfire.