Back from the dead. Sort of. 1997 Wrangler

kyojin

Finally with the help of Jeepin Joe I got my engine replaced and running. It's a 1997 Wrangler with the 4.0l. It has a problem starting but idles like a champ. When I give it any gas it sputters and backfires. It seems like it is backfiring in the headers. Does this sound like a bad fuel pump?

Also the catalytic converter is rattling pretty good. Would that cause my symptoms? I disconnected the downpipe from the exhaust and it was still sputtering and backfiring.

This Jeep has been sitting for 1.5 years. The "new" engine has about 100k on it. There was about half a tank of old fuel. I added 6 gallons of Chevron Premium, Techron fuel injector cleaner, lucas oil cleaner, and some HEET.

I forgot to mention I took the distributor off my old engine and put it on the new one. Could it be a timing issue?

Last edited:

kyojin

I've got a buddy coming over today to check timing and fuel pressure. I'm thinking and hoping it's just the timing.

If those two check out what else could it be? TPS?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Had a similar problem on the same motor and it was a glogged cat. Did you disconnect it before the cat? Been wondering of you would ever get around to putting this back together.

kyojin

I disconnected it before the cat and it still sputtered and backfired. Yeah its taken me a while to get it up and running. glad its getting close.

kyojin

Had a buddy come over with a timing gun and fuel pressure gauge. Hooked up fuel Pressure gauge and it was around 43 PSI so that was good.

While reading the manual it said the rotor should have the trailing edge pointed to the #1 wire. When we pulled it it was on the leading edge. Put it on the trailing edge and it fired right up which it struggled before. It revved up just fine. No backfires. Now I just need to replace the cat. Thanks for the input advice guys.