BAD aluminum radiator from Mepco 4x4

COMP4x4

Did this happen to you or anyone you know????

Jeep Safari 2005 found me down and out with a factory radiator that was shot. I went searching for one in hopes I could get back on the trail for the rest of the weekend. I thought I was so lucky to find one at the vendor show. It was a nice big aluminum radiator with a tranny cooler on the side. (perfect for the future drivetrain swap) I was a bit skeptical when the salesman in the booth said all sales were final, but he assured me that the only reason they were being sold for less than retail was because the hose inlet threads were not thread deep enough. I have a full machine shop and knew I could fix that. He told me that they were pressure tested and ready to go. I got back to the hotel made it work and had a great weekend.
It wasn't until I got home that I found the LEAK. The leak progressively worsened on the next two trips I took it out on. I took it over to Daves radiator repair in Provo and he told me it was unfixable. When I told him where I bought it, he couldn't believe it. Mine was the fifth radiator brought into his shop with the SAME problem, bought at the SAME show, from the SAME company.
This strikes me as a bit of a coincidence. I hope this company wasn't knowingly selling these as a means of gaining a quick and dishonest buck.
If so, there must me more of us out there and possibly something we can do.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I had a 4 Core HD radiator for a SBC swap that I bought from MEPCO a few years ago & it worked flawlessly. No complaints here, it worked just as it should have.

Did you try contacting them about the problem?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Did you try contacting them about the problem?

Who would you contact, since there is no Mepco anymore? :confused:

I've used a couple of the "normal" brass/copper 4 core CJ conversion radiators from them in the past with no issues.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Jeep Safari 2005 and you wait until NOW to say something?

You say it worked great on your trip, but was leaking when you got home??? sure it's not your fault it leaks???

Time for complaining would seem to be over if you ask me. Call Summit Racing and get a new one for $180.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Jeep Safari 2005 and you wait until NOW to say something? Time for complaining would seem to be over if you ask me.

i agree with Tacoma.... nearly 2 years later and now you're mounting a posse to torch Mepco... :rolleyes:

i'd say learn from the mistake and buy a new one... with warranty maybe? just a thought...

-Jason

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I don't think Mepco was trying to make a quick buck. They've been around for a long time and just recently changed their name to Teraflex PLUS.

They are a long time supporter of this forum and I would be willing to bet that if you just took the initive to call them up and tell them your story, they would be able to tell you theirs. All I see in this thread is hear-say.

Nate R

It's derby season!
I don't think Mepco was trying to make a quick buck. They've been around for a long time and just recently changed their name to Teraflex PLUS.

They are a long time supporter of this forum and I would be willing to bet that if you just took the initive to call them up and tell them your story, they would be able to tell you theirs. All I see in this thread is hear-say.

I totally agree. The statute of limitations may be up.

1993yj

As much as I dislike dealing with the people at the counter of Mepco, they do make good products. I run a few of them (I just go through different vendors, which is usually cheaper anyways), but I have a radiator from them, which I installed nearly ten years ago, and it still works fine.

I have to agree with the two years later thing though. If you want someone to warranty something, it usually has to be within a certain timeline, and you have to TALK TO THEM, not complain to us. Sorry man.

COMP4x4

Jeep Safari 2005 and you wait until NOW to say something?

You say it worked great on your trip, but was leaking when you got home??? sure it's not your fault it leaks???

Time for complaining would seem to be over if you ask me. Call Summit Racing and get a new one for $180.

I just got back from Maryland after being back there for two years. My Jeep has been sitting in our shop since. I simply wasn't here to take care of it. I just came out for the Jeep safari and went back.
Daves told me the leak is inside the core and there is no way to fix it. He said it was the same problem as the others.
The only reason Ive waited till now to say something is because I just got back and want to get it on the road again for spring, and since moab 2005 I haven't known what the problem was. Thats all.
It's not the money thats the issue. I have since heard that they (teraflex plus) sells the same radiator for $250 which is a killer price (with a 1 year warranty.) I am going to call tommorrow and if thats the deal, Ill buy one.
I was just surprised that Daves alone has seen 5 of these come in, and wondered how many others it may have happened to and what happened?