bad carrier bearings

mike20

A.T.R Offroad
i found out that i have bad carrier bearings in my 30, i was wondering if i would have to re-shim if i were to replace just the bearings and races on the carrier

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
You probably won't need to re-shim, but you will need to check the pattern before and after to be sure. Make sure your patterns match very closely. Take pics with a digi cam to make it easy to compare before/after. It is also possible that your preload will be off with the new bearings, which will require shim adjustment.

mike20

A.T.R Offroad
ok thanks, and for someone who has never touched a differential before how hard is something like that to do and what specialty tools do i need to preform the job?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
In theory, you will need a press to install the new bearings, carrier bearing puller (or a press and a bearing plate,) a dial indicator to check backlash, gear marking compound (just colored grease,) a good micrometer, and an inch-pound torque wrench to check bearing preload. Some people can gauge preload by hand and get close enough, but that may be tough for a first-timer.

But, as long as you have access to the puller and a press, and can check the gear pattern afterwards, you should be fine as long as the pattern looks good.

mike20

A.T.R Offroad
ok well i have a press so thats wont be hard, my big problem is how remove and set the new races and how to check preload and all that fun stuff. this is just temporary im when i get a job im going to have the axles re-geared and locked.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
This is a front axle so it is a lot less important to make it perfect since it doesn't see as much use and usually it's a lot slower speeds. I'd say just put all the shims back where you found them, and run it. Your pattern wont be off alot with the new bearings. Then get it done right with the new gear set.