Bad gas milage?

4Runner

Well my girlfriend bought a 98 Tacoma about two months ago. When we first got it it was getting about thirteen now it's getting about sixteen to seventeen around town. We drove to Idaho and got fifteen. The truck has a three and a half inch lift with the 3.4 and two eighty five. And has a exhaust on it. My 4runner has the 3.0 with thirty fives and gets better gas milage I don't understand how the 3 slow is better. Any one else have this problem?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
if you are running 285's on it that is about a 33" tire, I know my old tacoma came with a 225 tire on it which is about a 28" tire so you may only think you are getting 13mpg but you might actually be driving closer to 20miles per gallon.

Do you know what gear ratio you have? I think it would help to regear unless you got lucky and got 4.56 ratio stock. If you have the 3.85 gear ratio I'd be amazed you were getting 13mpg.

4Runner

Im not sure what it has on gears but I know it's not 4.56. It's way to high to be that low. When I'm on the free way doing seventy it sits at about 2300 rpm I think. I don't drive it a lot but that's about what I remember

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Im not sure what it has on gears but I know it's not 4.56. It's way to high to be that low. When I'm on the free way doing seventy it sits at about 2300 rpm I think. I don't drive it a lot but that's about what I remember

Have you ever had a GPS to determine how far off the speedometer is off?