Bad news in Sugarhouse

bobmed

- - - -
Went on a walk with the dog and found Liberty Park closed but full of people cleaning up oil in the pond.
The pipeline broke in Red butte canyon and oil went to Red Butte creek and into the park and Tracy Aviary :ugh:
I could smell the oil pretty strong on the downwind side but they are keeping people to the outer edge so I couldn't see how bad the pond got hit.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
yeah the pipeline broke sometime last night and released over 500 barrels of oil... the VA was the first to report it this morning... guess someone was walking across the bridge that crosses the creek between the buildings and just happened to look into the water and see it...

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Close, this one was Chevron....

They do have a much better PR staff though. They've already admited it is their leak, and 100% their financial responsibilty. So, I'll offer a reluctant thumbs up to Chevron for stepping up to the plate on this leak, as long as they follow through now.

BP strikes again:ugh:

Strange, I saw all the activity but had no idea what was going on.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Close, this one was Chevron....

They do have a much better PR staff though. They've already admited it is their leak, and 100% their financial responsibilty. So, I'll offer a reluctant thumbs up to Chevron for stepping up to the plate on this leak, as long as they follow through now.

kidding about the bp thing, but glad to hear that we aren't having to beg chevron to clean up their mess. good point on the follow through ........we'll see-_-

M

muddyjeep

You know, it seems like all these oil spills are done on purpose!
Just so they can jack prices up! What the hell is all our $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
going to? It seems like there are way too many "Accidents" !
There needs to a full investigation of the oil company's!
And I want to know why is Utah the damn highest in the country?!?!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
You know, it seems like all these oil spills are done on purpose!
Just so they can jack prices up! What the hell is all our $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
going to? It seems like there are way too many "Accidents" !
There needs to a full investigation of the oil company's!
And I want to know why is Utah the damn highest in the country?!?!

Hmmm.

1. This local Cheveron spill with cost them far more than they can get out of a fuel price bump.

2. Utah is not the damn highest, close but not the highest:
http://gasbuddy.com/GB_Price_List.aspx?cntry=USA

But Congress probably should launch another investigation :D

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Front row seat to watch the cleanup is pretty interesting...:cool: It's a zoo up here - Pretty impressive cleanup effort!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Watching it on the news, some guy all upset about the fish? "They were kinda my pets" uh, sure buddy.

Things happen, it's part of living in an industrialized nation. We'll see how the cleanup goes. I wonder how that would go if it was a spill into Utah Lake? hahah sucks it got the scenic ponds but hey, sounds like they're doing their level best right now to get it cleaned back up. *shrug

Bryson, pics damn you

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Watching it on the news, some guy all upset about the fish? "They were kinda my pets" uh, sure buddy.

Things happen, it's part of living in an industrialized nation. We'll see how the cleanup goes. I wonder how that would go if it was a spill into Utah Lake? hahah sucks it got the scenic ponds but hey, sounds like they're doing their level best right now to get it cleaned back up. *shrug

Bryson, pics damn you

The water can't get to Utah lake... unless the earth moves a bit...:p It is headed toward the Great Salt Lake though...

I'll go shoot some crappy cell phone pics right now.:)

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I'll see if I can't go snap some pics that actually mean something...

Attachments

• spill 1.JPG
    spill 1.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 23
  • spill 2.jpg
    spill 2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 24
  • spill 3.JPG
    spill 3.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 21

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Pretty sure a little oil is the least of Utah Lake's long history of pollution :D

Back home, we had the wonderful, mercury-laden Onondaga Lake, "described as one of the most polluted lakes in the United States". At one point in the '90's, sludge was sampled from the bottom, and they couldn't identify the chemical compounds in it. Good sign!! As of now, the entire lakebottom is a Superfund site thanks to about 100yrs of chemical/industrial dumping on along the south shore. :D

One thing to consider when comparing our fuel prices to other places...

Our regular is 85 octane.

Most everywhere else, regular is 87 octane.

We would have to buy mid-grade to get the same fuel, so we are getting screwed a little worse than most realize. :mad:

Last edited:

bobmed

- - - -
Here's some crappy cell phone pics from a crappy cell phone.:D
These were at Liberty park yesterday.

Attachments

• 537393318_1900112369_0.jpeg
    537393318_1900112369_0.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 13
  • 537393900_1900114527_0.jpeg
    537393900_1900114527_0.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 14